GoKunming Forums

Racism in Kundu

JJ and Janice (324 posts) • 0

Drunken brawls where one might get a bloody nose or a black-eye do NOT equate with real fighting. Most "real" fighters are happy to laughingly walk away from drunken brawls!!

Cheers - - JJ

timkunming (87 posts) • 0

I'm surprised that some of you are surprised that bars would limit foreigners from entering based on a few accounts of foreigners fighting or mooching off of other people. In such a homogeneous country, stereotypes and blanket statements regarding foreign people of all colors and races is inevitable.

Besides, what are you doing in Kundu anyway? Awful music, shitty atmosphere, arrogant new-money Chinese, (possibly) fake liquor, thieves, etc.

The last time I went to Kundu was ages ago, and the last two times I went there was a massive brawl outside of Top One involving some 20-odd people randomly throwing punches and attacking whomever happened to be nearby, and the absolute last time I went was when I was with a friend walking down the street and two guys attempted to spray our faces with pepper spray, I assume in order to steal our wallets or phones.

Seriously, get out of there. You encounter the worst China has to offer, and there are plenty of other places in town with nice music, cool people, and a safer environment.

laotou (1714 posts) • 0

JJ - speaking from experience from your younger days eh?

California - they don't fight anymore they just shoot at you. Assuming you make it out of the bar/club, then you have to worry that the person or group you offended will follow you and optionally zero you out or if they're really pissed and thorough - whack you AND your family.

China's the same - remember the thai guy that got stabbed to death (was it last year or 2009)? One may be a 300 lb gorilla - but a sneaky guy with a knife or club (or with friends with knives and clubs) can take out an elephant. It's an extremely simple thing to slip a sleeper drug into your open bottle of beer or drink - now you're a drugged 300 lb gorilla.

As JJ notes - best to try to avoid being a public buffoon. Assuming one survives the nite's drunken lunacy - best to return and try to apologize with a cash or cash equivalent apology (whatever you can afford - but keep cash available for the exit plane, train, or bus trip) and whatever else you can afford (fruit, flowers, bottle of GENUINE and expensive whisky, cognac, etc) - and avoid always having to look over your shoulder and avoid getting ambushed. If they reject your apology, try harder and more sincerely, or book an early flight for home or elsewhere.

Related forum threads

Login to post