Staying by my girlfriend in Kunming

Peder (6 posts) • 0

I want to visit my Chinese girlfriend in Kunming. Are there any rules
or laws that prevent me to stay at her in her apartment in about 14
days my stay lasts?
Best regards
Peder

Ouyang (243 posts) • 0

As far as I know legally you just have to register with the police to tell them where you're staying, and it's no big deal. Most people don't even do that, and have no problems.

Deviant (2 posts) • 0

However, it is, of course, illegal for you to touch her, kiss her, etc... That is unless you get a fornication permit. You can obtain one of these when you register to stay at her place. You will have to submit to a physical and psychological evaluation if I remember correctly.

Peder (6 posts) • 0

Dear Ouyang and Deviant
I am deeply grateful to you for the valuable information. Thanks.
Best regards
Peder

Greginchina (239 posts) • 0

Deviant you may jest about this now but 20 years ago that was actually true, there was even a special department of the PSB to monitor international relationships.

Peder (6 posts) • 0

Dear Greginchina
Thanks to you too. Thanks for your great help. I look forward to come to Kunming - The Green City
Best regards
Peder

JJ and Janice (324 posts) • 0

Peder - - below is info from brochure published by lo9cal police:
+ For individuals staying with or in the house of a Chinese resident (or a house of a foreign resident): Within 24 hours of arrival you must report to the local police station and present: Your valid travel document5: The ID card of the Chinese resident with whom you are staying
+ For individuals privately renting accommodation: Within 24 hours you must report to the local police station and present: Your valid travel document: two passport size photos of yourself; your landlord's ID card number and telehone number.
+ Under Chinese law all foreign citizens aged 16 or over are required to carry a valid travel document with them at all times.

Granted - - many people do not comply - - and never have a problem.

However, yesterday, the foreign affairs police knocked at our door and were doing document checks of all foreigners living in our area. They were very polite - - all our documents were in order (we have been here 2 years) - - and all OK. I was glad we were "in order."

Note: if you stay at hotel or guest house, they are responsible for notifying police of your arrival and departure.

Cheers - - JJ

hedgepig (273 posts) • 0

quick add-on to JJ and Janice's very useful summary:

the first instance (staying with Chinese resident) will also require photos, and likely a copy of their house ownership documentation.

the second instance (renting) will likely require a copy of your rental contract.

obviously, it's often hard to get all these documents together (or find the location of the correct police station at which to register) within 24 hours, but the police are generally pretty relaxed about the time limit.

extended periods of non-registration will likely result in a telling off, a lot of faff, and possibly a fine.

i've used the word 'likely' a few times: regulations change, or may be applied incompletely, incompetently or not at all.

Peder (6 posts) • 0

Dear JJ
I am very grateful for your advice and recommendations.
I am pleased to come to Kunming.
Best regards
Peder

Related forum threads

Login to post