GoKunming Forums

Renting city bicycles

Crazychopstick (8 posts) • 0

Does anyone know how to rent those city bicycles that are everywhere around Kunming? I tried one yesterday but i think i need to be a chinese resident for it? Anyone knows? Thanks.

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • 0

If you have Wechat or Alipay you can use them. Just scan the QR. You don't have to be Chinese to use these bikes.

satii (82 posts) • -1

I think OP may be referring to dockable red bikes the city government provides. Its free for first hour of use. Search for 叮塔出行 on your WeChat mini programs. Bike qr code scanner in the miniprogram. 叮塔 (Dingda) is probably the sound of the bike's bell, an onomatopoeia if you will.

I tried scanning a bike yesterday, but then i arrived at an user certification ting, and i think i need a chinese resident number for it? My friend who'd done it before said that as long as i had wechat pay then it should work...

satii (82 posts) • 0

Not sure if only Chinese ID# (身份证号) is accepted, but if you scan the red bikes with WeChat's mini program, WeChat Pay is the way to pay.

I've yet to see any mini programs allowing Alipay as payment option. It's Tencent's way of defeating Alipay in e-payment market share.

i'll try the red bikes next time then :) Bit sad considering it needs to be docked so the traveling options are a bit limited. Oh well. Thanks for the help guys!

satii (82 posts) • 0

@Crazychopstick, DiDi app is a great tool for both bike renting and bus transit routes (your other topic inquiry).

The Chinese DiDi (滴滴出行) version allows both above-mentioned functions. While the English DiDi version only permits express car (cheaper)/ride sharing (cheapest) or pricier taxi hailing options like Uber/Grab.

DiDi is similar to WeChat app, in that the Chinese language version is like a multipurpose swiss army knife. The English WeChat & DiDi interfaces are more one-trick ponies. Hence, select Chinese language to unlock integrated bus route and bike renting features.

Application:

Didi bus transit routes ("公交" tab) show nearest bus stations and bus numbers from your current/departure point to destination with clear map navigation interface. The app also displays the nearest or most efficient options for bus transfers, as well as walking duration/distance to and fro bus stations.

I'm currently visiting a developing area in perhaps a fourth tier city, yet the transit info are still accurate and up to date. Thanks in part to DiDi being a massively funded national operation that pretty much monopolized the logistical side of China's ride hailing market. This requires precise lay of the land.

DiDi bike renting ("单车" tab) displays nearest 青拮 (qingjie) teal colored bicycles, which imho is superior and easier to ride than Mobike, Alipay's Hello bikes, Ofo (defunct?), or the red city bikes. DiDi own these newer teal bikes.

Important side note is after binding DiDi account to your phone number or WeChat, they require inputting Chinese ID name and number to verify age, as minors aren't permitted to rent them for safety reasons. Borrow ID info from a Chinese. It doesn't matter if they've already created a DiDi account in the past using same ID number. Your new DiDi account can successfully be verified regardless. Perhaps try this with the red bikes as well.

amydsouzaamydsouza (13 posts) • +1

I tried Alipay to have a city bicycle and i was able to book one. Thanks!

Related forum threads

Login to post