GoKunming Forums

Teaching in Chenggong - Living by the main campus

EricJMa (15 posts) • 0

My wife recently got a job teaching at Yunnan University. We recently found out that all her classes will be at the Chenggong Campus.

We are looking to live downtown Kunming and would like some advice and insight about how far it is to travel by ditie subway.

Do you think it is too inconvenient to live in the city? Perhaps we should just move to the Chenggong area.

Your insight would be greatly appreciated. thanks

johnchen (21 posts) • 0

I am living in chenggong university city.It is convenient to go to yunnan University as it is near the subway station.However,you`d better to choose to live in chenggong area or it will take too much time on the way to work,even by subway.
Why don`t you consider to live in chenggong university city?It is quiet here with good environment and you don`t need to pay much for housing.
Good Luck.

EricJMa (15 posts) • 0

Hey John, Thanks for your advice! how often do you visit Kunming downtown? What is the lifestyle like in Chenggong? Are there lots of coffee shops, restaurants, and activities there?

Serrure (132 posts) • 0

I live in Chenggong university area. It takes two hours to get to downtown from my univ, which is closer to the centre than Yunnan University. Not much to do here - some restaurants and ktv, night market with cheap clothes, not even one half-decent coffee shop. Fruit is cheaper than in the downtown, but that's the only advantage of living in Chenggong that I can think off.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

I lived there last year. The area immediately S of Yunnan Normal Univ. is a good are to live.
There are several bars. One is owned by an American (Redwood Tavern) the other is a bar cafe, owned by a couple of French guys (Paris Cafe). There are 3 supermarkets and lots of small shops. It is cheap for rent, and cheap for food. The local farmers also come in at night.

This is about 1.5km from the ditie. There are a Carrefour a few stops up the ditie at Guandu. I never took the ditie, but was told that it was about 50 mins to town, once you were on the train.

If you are thinking or renting, jump in now. Lots of students are moving out and the best places get snapped up fast.
I would live near where I worked, consider that most univ. classes start at 8am.

EricJMa (15 posts) • 0

Thanks so much for your input guys. I'm very grateful.

The reason my wife applied for the job at YunDa is because we both fell in love with the city and thought that this would be a nice place to live for a while.

Then we found out that the classes are at Chenggong campus. At first I thought I would be bored living at the Chenggong campus since I love the city life in Kunming. Now I'm more open to the idea. I'm not completely sold yet though. I really love Kunming city.

Also I would like to make and meet friends our age (we are in our 30's) while living there.

These are just my thoughts. I have actually no idea how life there will actually be. I can't wait to move to Kunming at the end of July! :)

opper (52 posts) • 0

You could also consider living near the subway line somewhere between Erji lu and New Asia Athletics such that you could get into either downtown or Chenggong within 30 minutes. At present, there is more activity (restaurants, shopping, etc) in this part of Kunming (southwestern Guandu district) compared with Chenggong. Guandu old town is not too far from this area either.

johnchen (21 posts) • 0

how often do you visit Kunming downtown? What is the lifestyle like in Chenggong? Are there lots of coffee shops, restaurants, and activities there?
Sorry,seldom will I go to the downtown because I am focusing on studying,though I have been graduated. If I find something interesting,I will spare to go to downtown. Kunming is a comfortable city,fresh air, good environment,warm climate. It is a good place for resting,not noisy as downtown(I used to live in shenzhen)Yes,you could find some coffee shops,and many restaurants nearby,by the way,the flowers here are fresh and cheap,I think you could send them as gift to your wife every day.10RMB for 3 - 5 bundles of rose.
As to the downtown,I think you could choose the places of interest,then visit at the weekend.
Good luck

EricJMa (15 posts) • 0

opper: per also consider somewhere between Erji lu and New Asia Athletics

Brilliant idea!

At present, there is more activity (restaurants, shopping, etc) in this part of Kunming (southwestern Guandu district)

Sounds great actually! how is compared to Kunming downtown?

John: the flowers here are fresh and cheap,I think you could send them as gift to your wife every day.10RMB for 3 - 5 bundles of rose.

Great advice dude! :)

Again thanks for all the feedback!

laofengzi (376 posts) • 0

the main issue is the last subway station to yunda.

you wil have to take a black taxi, or ebike. its 10 to 15 yuan one way.

the subway from 东风 station to the last station takes 45 minutes.

the other option is take the teacher bus from kunming yunda to chenggong yunda. it takes an hour and a half to 2 hours.

Related forum threads

Login to post