GoKunming Forums

Teaching in Chenggong - Living by the main campus

Haali (1178 posts) • 0

Providing the 'University Hotel' apartments are pretty decent, I would recommend living there. Your partner won't have any commute, which is a massive quality of life bonus, especially in Kunming where getting around can be slow and stressful. You can still get into the city for the odd day/night out. It also should leave you with the option to move somewhere different at any time, because you won't have already paid a heap of rent.

johnchen (21 posts) • 0

Yes,quite agree with haali.
Now that yunda provides the apartment,if you consider the security and money,those could be important factors.with this,you could live comfortable in chenggong and go to downtown for more fun as your leisure time by subway.

EricJMa (15 posts) • 0

John, are the Yunnan University Hotel apartments that YunDa provides located at the at the Chenggong campus or at the old campus downtown? I don't know why, but I was under the impression that they were located at the old campus downtown.

johnchen (21 posts) • 0

Now that your wife will give lessons in yunda chenggong campus,why do they arrange the apartment at the old campus?Sorry,I don`t know that.
If so,it is really far away from chenggong university city

EricJMa (15 posts) • 0

Yeah, I just tripled checked.

The foreign teachers guest house is located in the Yunnan University Hotel. It has one living room, one bedroom, a bathroom. The administrator said that it might be a little small for a family and suggested we find a bigger apartment with the stipend.

It is located beside Kunming campus. Yunda will also provide a transportation allowance.

laotou (1714 posts) • 0

@Eric
The Foreign teachers apartments are sneezing distance from Wenlin Street - aka expat restaurant bar and grill joints, Pauls (for CHEESE and other goodies you MAY be missing from home - like junk food, cereal, candies, canned and bottled drinks, etc).

The ability to eat, drink, and socialize occasionally with other western cultures helps stave off homesickness for expats immersed into China's culture(s). It can be a little daunting for those less adventurous (like children and spouses).

Chenggong is still a bit sparse - but give it time...or better yet - open your own dive bar & grill.

johnchen (21 posts) • 0

I see,so what is your final decision?now that you wish to choose kunming city as your living place for a long time, you will have much time to adjust for a suitable life. Just make a choice and if you are dissatisfied,It is not hard to move. We always face tradeoffs in life,don`t we?good luck

Haali (1178 posts) • 0

Oh, as you can probably tell, my last post was based on the assumption that they had another Hotel in Chengong! If they don't, then my last post is somewhat void. I would instead recommend finding an apartment near the subway and university in Chengong. Your 2,000 allowance should go a long way in Chengong.

haofei (6 posts) • 0

Hey, any update on life in Chenggong? I'm a 30 year old European (currently in New Zealand) quitting my job to study Chinese on a scholarship (I know that sounds crazy). What did you decide, are you staying in the city centre and commuting everyday? Would love to hear about your experience in Chenggong. The uni is providing accomodation for me in Chenggong but wondering if it's liveable. I'll be so much older than the average students, not sure it will be much fun for me to stay on the campus...

Related forum threads

Login to post