GoKunming Forums

visa turnaround possible at vietnam border?

ksmcqueen (96 posts) • 0

Hi. Has anyone done a visa turnaround (exit China, walk back in) at the Vietnam border without Vietnam visa? I've done it a few times at Laos border.

snakey (9 posts) • 0

Yes, was wondering if Ozzies can get a Visa at the Vietnam border; like HeKou for example

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

I don't think Hekou is changing anytime soon, so this over six month old info should still be good. Answer is: No.

It's physically possible to just exit China and walk back downstairs and re-enter without even crossing the bridge to the Vietnam side. However, last time I asked if it was possible to do this, and the answer seemed to be "no." The actual answer was "go get a visa from a travel agency in town" to my couple of attempts at asking. So, I assume they still won't let you out without a Viet visa. This was not an issue for me as I already got one in Kunming.

If you're not opposed to staying a night in Hekou, you could try to exit-reenter. Maybe it works. If it doesn't, you just pay the same 400rmb to some travel agency in town for a Viet visa and then cross. But make sure you got a few days left.

kiwikiwi (16 posts) • 0

Not really possible to do this, without a visa for Vietnam, and I think you can no longer get at Hekou or the border, instead have to get in Kunming, takes a few days. So as a viable option for a visa run, not so good. But the new train to Hekou from Kunming and the new highway means it is lot quicker to get there and back.

kiwikiwi (16 posts) • 0

Not really possible to do this, without a visa for Vietnam, and I think you can no longer get at Hekou or the border, instead have to get in Kunming, takes a few days. So as a viable option for a visa run, not so good. But the new train to Hekou from Kunming and the new highway means it is lot quicker to get there and back.

opper (52 posts) • 0

If you'll go through the hassle to go all the way down there why not just spend a night or two in laocai or sapa? There are yha hostels over in sapa and tourism in Vietnam for a day or two is similar to china price wise.

Related forum threads

Login to post