GoKunming Forums

skype in yunnan

redjon77 (510 posts) • 0

Another thing I just use VPN on due to being linked with my hotmail account which I can never access either.

debaser (647 posts) • 0

i use skype often (from kunming) without too many problems and without a VPN. When i tried to use the Chinese version of Skype (used to be a partnership with Tom.com) it was VERY unreliable so I made more effort to find the international version.

redjon77 (510 posts) • 0

Maybe it's just my hotmail account as I've never been able to use it in kunming, I got a new one using an outlook address and that works, just my contacts are all under my hotmail.

I'll get round to sorting it out soon lol

bluppfisk (398 posts) • 0

I have no problem using Skype. Be advised that if you visit skype.com from China without a VPN, you are downloading a modified version that allows the government to listen in (weak encryption).

Cladygirl (8 posts) • 0

I use Skype (downloaded from American version) almost daily; honestly it is about the only technology that works brilliantly for me almost every time here in Kunming. My parents comment that my voice is clearer than when I used to call coast to coast in the States!

jopasny (184 posts) • 0

Power cycle (unplug the power cable for a few minutes) your router and modem before you try to connect a call on skype. I have to do it almost daily to ensure a fast enough connection.

Related forum threads

Login to post