GoKunming Forums

Border crossings with Vietnam (other than Hekou)

GeogramattGeogramatt (203 posts) • 0

Does anyone know if foreigners are allowed to cross into Vietnam at either the border crossing in Honghe Prefecture's Jinping County (红河州金平县), or Wenshan Prefecture's Malipo County (文山州麻栗坡县)?

I know Hekou is the standard border crossing from Yunnan to Vietnam, but I've already done it several times and am looking to do something a little different this time.

I know border crossings in Jinping and Malipo exist. And the guy at the Vietnamese consulate even told me I'm allowed to cross there. The problem is I don't know if the Chinese border guards will let me cross or not.

I went to the Kunming PSB today, and they made a call to the foreign affairs bureau to ask on my behalf, but no one knew the answer.

If anyone has tried these border crossings before, I'd much appreciate any info you might have!

Thanks

no way (104 posts) • 0

please post your experience if use make it across....

www.asia-planet.net/vietnam/information.htm

China : Vietnam and China have some border crossings. But the busiest one is Huu Nghi at Dong Dang of Lang Son Province to Pinxiang and Nanning on the chinese side. On the other hand, Lao Cai border crossing to Kunming and Mong Cai border crossing to Quangzhou are also open to foreign tourists. There are two railways linking Hanoi and Beijing via Huu Nghi and Lao Cai border gates. Buses run every day from Hanoi to these border crossings and the same on the chinese side to cities. Other means of transport such as: bus, taxi, Honda Om are available in each frontier province to its border crossing.You will need a chinese visa and a re-entry Vietnamese visa if you go back to Vietnam.

www.vietnamsunshinetravel.com/vietnam/bordercrossings.html

There are three border crossings over China:

▼ LAO CAI - HA KHAU
The Hekou Bridge overland border to China is at Lao Cai, (the main train station for Sapa) in the northwest. Twice weekly trains also run from Hanoi to Kunming in China; you can also board the train at Lao Cai Train Station. .

▼ MONG CAI - DONG HUNG
The Mong Cai - Dong Hung - the third border crossing China can be found at Mong Cai Town, northeastern of Vietnam. To get there, you can get hydrofoils direct from Hai Phong or Ha Long (see hidrofoils).

Contact the main boat jetties in town for tickets & information. .

▼ HUU NGHI:
Huu Nghi is an overland border of 18kms north of Lang Son, in the northeast. From Hanoi, minibuses depart from Gia Lam Bus Station for Lang Son. There are also local trains from Hanoi, which stop at Dong Dang Station, 4kms away from Huu Nghi. The international train for China (Beijing) departs Hanoi's main train station via Dong Dang Station, but you can only join the train at Hanoi.

Related forum threads

Login to post