GoKunming Forums

Good hotels? Kunming, Dali, Yuan Yang, Yang Shuo

rosaa (9 posts) • 0

I have my parents and sister coming to visit me in Kunming in March and have been looking around the city for more interesting places for them to stay. I've looked at the Green Lake Hotel - far too expensive and the Home Inns - which are reasonable but boring. Then most of the bigger hotels are on Beijing road which is a nightmare at the moment.

Does anyone know of anywhere more unusual to stay. I think we can spend about 150-400 a night. Top priorities are closeish to the lake and quiet as possible. Something with a bit more character would be perfect.

If you have any experiences or recommendations let me know.

I will also take them to see Dali, Yuan Yang and Yang Shuo so if anyone has recommendations for interesting and unusual places to stay there any info would be appreciated.

Cheers

ludwig (104 posts) • 0

Kunming: I had friends here stay at the Yuantong Siji Hotel, opposite Yuantong Temple on Yuantongjie. It was pretty new last year, with kind-of-stylish, if slightly small rooms. Internet in rooms. The rate last year was 288Y per night, no English spoken.

Dali: a good choice in the old town is Rainbow's Nest (?), on Guangwu Road 广武路. If you come from Xiaguan by taxi, go via Boai Lu, turn right (downhill towards the lake) on Yuer Lu and drive two or three blocks, then left. The guesthouse comes after about 50-100m on the right. Just before it is the Caotang guesthouse.
It is a quiet, undeveloped part of old Dali, within easy walking distance to the main streets. Rainbow's Nest, if I remember the name correctly, is a new building, apartment style, some of the (few) rooms come with kitchen(ette), as the original plan was to rent it out on a longer term base. I paid 100Y per night for a very large, very bright suite-style room.

Yuanyang: I have not been for a long time, but I assume the Yunti (cloud ladder) is still the swankiest place in town, with the best rooms and reliable hot water supply. In the off-season, which is March, I do not think you will pay much more than 120Y.

Related forum threads

Login to post