GoKunming Forums

Any small schools offered 1:1 class at a resonable rate?

yeong (8 posts) • 0

Hi, guys. I'm currently studying in Hangzhou and am planing to move into Yunnan in this June for travelling and learning spoken Mandarin.

As i'll be there for just about 2 months, i'd love to have an intensive 1:1 class in the morning and enjoy the sunshine in the afternoon lol.

So, can anyone please recommend any small school offered 1:1 class at a resonable hourly rate? (I think less than 65 RMB per hour would be resonable, considering that a living cost is low in Yunnan)

A millions thanks in advance !

Cheers

sfl-teacher (11 posts) • 0

Hi yeong,

you can get in touch with us by email in order to get more detailed information about our learning programs : chinese@study-foreign-language.com or leave us your email so that we can contact you and provide all relevant information.

Cheers

SFL Team
..:: Learning is a treasure that will follow its owner everywhere ::..

we are located in Kunming, close to the city center.

SFL Team

Danmairen (510 posts) • 0

You can get experienced private tutors for as little as 20 kuai an hour. There is a line on one of the universities called "Teaching Chinese as a 2nd language" and the master's students there are supposedly very good tutors for one on one classes. Still I doubt they demand much more than 30-35 kuai an hour at most. You can of course also go for "language exchange" but most of the times it is just a different term for dating around here and probably not the best choice if you want to be all serious and stuff.

Yes, like Danmairen wrote, you can find tutors for 25rmb an hour, more or less. BUT you have to be aware that there are a lot of differences between those tutors and a "real" and professional teacher, who spent years to study on how to teach Chinese to foreigners with method and pedagogy. Not mention the experience.
There is just no possible comparison.
Most of those tutors are students or graduated from another area than teaching Chinese to foreigners.
If you are looking for someone who can help and accompany you to read the book, re-tell sentences, read Chinese characters, help to find answers to exercises, then a tutor might be alright for you.
But if you are looking for someone can give you clear explanation about grammar, can give you some culture related information to explain why "this" should be used in which way, why and when ... someone can anwser quickly, clearly and logically all your questions, then you have to be careful, because you might be strongly disappointed with a tutor, like most of our students who tried out this solution, thinking they will save money, but finally figuring out that they wasted their time and money, because even after 3 months they stated that they did not make any consistent progress.

It is not because you can speak Chinese or any other language, that you can teach this language. This mistake is very common but unfortunately leads to bad quality teaching and lot of frustration amount learners of Chinese language.

Concerning, Danmairen's option which consist in looking at the students from "Teaching Chinese as a 2nd language", i think you can easily understand the difference between somone who's still in the process of "learning how to" and someone who already learned how to, already experienced it and might already have some thoughts about how to improve the method.

After all, i think it is very clear : It is depending on the level of professionalism you expect from your "instructor" to instil you the Chinese language (or any other language).

yeong, for information. The price you mentioned in your first post is the average market price for one on one teaching Chinese to foreigners, in Kunming. If you wish, I invite you to contact us at chinese@study-foreign-language.com in order to get more detailed information about our learning programs and relative fees.

Thank you for reading, if there are questions, we are happy to do our best to provide with ansers.

SFL Team

danasun21 (5 posts) • 0

Hi,There!
If you are interested in manadarin learning, you can contact us . We are Yunan PASI College, located in Kunming. for more information,Pls feel free to contact us. ynhrdc@163.com
0871-3647463

nnoble (889 posts) • 0

SFL-Teacher, Ref. 'Experienced' teachers: My brother is a bad driver, very bad. He's now over 60 and is therefore a very experienced bad driver. My niece is an excellent driver and just twenty years old.

Lindsey (3 posts) • 0

To SFL-Teacher,

ughhhh, I am terrified by you. Does that really make a huge difference?

I'd better off to a real and professional teacher although I like my current private tutor, who charges 15rmb per hour.

Well, apples and oranges, each person has his/her own pick.

SFL, maybe you are a little excessive crying or overemotional? I would not study with a mentally challenged person.

Lindsey (3 posts) • 0

PS SFL-teacher, you may want to check out a local Lunatic Hospital, just in case you do something stupid and ruin your reputation. Remember, we still love you even you are a big mouth; but we have to slap in your face even you have no sense of shame!

Related forum threads

Login to post