GoKunming Forums

Dancefloor accident / Orthopedist or Hand Surgeon

MasterBlaster (4 posts) • 0

The main point of this thread is at the bottom; the first part is just explaining why.

Saturday evening I was out having a good time, which then came to an abrupt halt as I was pulling off a wicked dancemove. I put my hand down (as this is often required to pull off the wickedest of dancemoves) on a broken bottle; a whining thread as to why there was glass on the floor will come up later.
To my dismay, the cut was across the ligaments of my left wrist and I have lost feeling in my index finger and half the feeling in my middle finger and thumb. Some very nice mates put me in a cab and jumped in after and we rushed off to the hospital. First time to a Chinese hospital, not a memory I will be fond of.
Obviously they said I neded surgery but that wouldn't be possible for another six hours. So I went home to sleep and contact my insurance company, who recommened Richland International Hospital, it was supposed to be above average standard so I went there the day after. A very exquisite hospital I must say, sadly I can't say the same for the incompetent 'doctor' I was granted. '
Now I'm no expert but rubbing raw nerves with a cloth just isn't the way to go. And my four stitches look like a Neanderthal worked on me, and that's almost a compliment. I also had the pleasure of having a syringe stabbed into my arse; very nice.
I then went on to enjoy the gruelingly slow service at Silver Spoon.

After all this I came home and contacted, what I am going to be extremely rude and call, real doctors back home. And they recommended me to go against the advice given here (the feeling will come back on it's own) and go find myself an orthopedist or a hand surgeon.

Which is the reason I am reaching out to my fellow peers.
Can anyone please help?
This numbness really blows.
If this person is english-speaking that would be brilliant.
And yet another rude comment, if he/she is westernly trained, all the better.
As you might have noticed, not digging the local healthcare system.

ChrisA (9 posts) • 0

I recommend either going to shanghai or bangkok. For something like this I think its probably better not to wait any long and go and have it looked at and fixed. a lot of people go to bangkok for all sorts of ailments big and small because of the excellent health care and english speaking doctors. if you want i can recommend how to get there and what hospitals to go to. i know its more expensive but in the long run it will be worth it.

onomatopoeiaaah (51 posts) • 0

Agree with ChrisA. Not being able to feel anything in three fingers is pretty serious and if it were me i'd want it fixed quick sharp as to avoid any longer term nerve/ligament damage. Thailand is certainly your best bet - Chiang Mai and Bangkok both have excellent hospitals. Many hospitals in Thailand will have English websites which might give you an idea of costs/procedures etc. Hop on a plane and get yourself fixed. You could combine it with a trip to the beach! Every cloud...

Good Luck.

NateKoppel (26 posts) • 0

Definitely go somewhere, either Bangkok or Beijing, Shanghai, or HK. I severed a tendon in my right wrist this past August (in America, a few months after returning from Kunming) and your injury sounds much more serious than mine. This is definitely something you need to drop all your other priorities for.

piers (144 posts) • 0

Bangkok has some of the best hospitals in the world where thousands of foreigners go to for medical services that cost a fortune in their home countries.

I can only recommend the one I've been to - Bumrungrad. It's absolutely 1st class, they have Thai and Indian doctors and possibly other foreign doctors. I consulted them when I broke my wrist 2 years ago and they gave me the same advice as my doctors back home (which was re-assuring compared to the doctor at the Red Cross Hospital who tried to set the break 3 times; not being able to see from the X-ray that the break required surgery)

www.bunrumgrad.com

If you're determined to find a good doctor in Kunming, try contacting Project Grace who run clinics in Yunnan. I'm afraid I don't have any details for them though they did use to run a clinic out of the school for the deaf and dumb. They're mostly American doctors and I think it's a church-funded programme.

My advice would be to agree with the other posters and get on a plane to one of Shanghai, HK or Bangkok. If you don't get it right now then you'll regret it later.

JJ and Janice (324 posts) • 0

Many give good advice. Although I agree with onomatopoeiaaah, I think her comment about either Chang Mai or Bangkok might be a little off. For your particular problem, Bangkok probably better.

Chiang Mai does in fact have excellent hospitals. I speak from experience (but go ahead and look into it yourself if you don't want to take my word for it). Thai health care on the whole is very good. It's not like China where you can only find adequate health care in the capital/Shanghai. You can actually find excellent health and dental care in a number of places outside Bangkok in fact; Phuket, Pattaya, etc etc Anyway, my original post suggested Chiang Mai has excellent hospitals and would thus be adequate. As to whether it's the very BEST hospital, well, that's not what the thread is about is it?

nnoble (889 posts) • 0

A Bangkok dentist once told me he travelled to Chiang Mai for medical treatment (including dentistry) because, as he explained, there are top notch teaching hospitals up there. Hopefully by now John Travolta has had treatment and this thread is merely academic.

Well, i'd like to hear what happened to MasterBlaster rather that make uneducated comments on other posters advice. So i shall refrain.

So MasterBlaster, how did everything pan out with your injury? Did you stick with the local hospitals in the end? Thai? HK? Like to share your experiences so that we might have some idea of the best plan of action should any of the rest of us suffer a similar boogie related fate?

Hope all went well and you are back on the dance floor soon!

JJ and Janice (324 posts) • 0

MasterBlaster - - as to onomatopoeiaaah's comments - - agree with her - - we would all be interested in your decision/results. Cheers!

Related forum threads

Login to post