论坛

Teaching in Kunming/China

livinginchina (232 posts) • +1

Just curious to know. Are schools like Summit, Henderson, New Oriental, Hainan, etc. going to close shop? I see ads posted here for 'teachers'. My understanding is that no tutoring will be allowed on evening & weekends. No teaching of English from foreigners. Will we see an exodus of teachers (foreigners)? My guess is that there will be very few foreigners coming to China to teach English.

AlPage48 (1394 posts) • 0

My understanding of the new rules is that there is to be no teaching OF foreign subjects, not teaching BY foreign subjects.

livinginchina (232 posts) • 0

Foreign subjects like English? Ha.Ha. I was surfing Youtube and watched some videos and it seems that it will seriously effect the 'online teaching' communities. Didn't realized there was so many. It's still too early to know.

AlPage48 (1394 posts) • 0

My sister-in-law's granddaughter knew her subjects well, but did not score highly in the class.

The teacher was intentionally leaving out parts of the curriculum, then conducting extra paid classes at his home.

I think this is the first thing that's being clamped down on.

I spoke to a friend yesterday who teaches English at RISE.

They are still conducting classes.

I think when restricting "foreign content" they may be referring to the way various countries are teaching history.

I've read some American texts with history of Canada and it didn't come close to what we were taught in Canada.

I'm reminded of George Orwell's 1984.

jj123 (99 posts) • 0

The law is supposed to be national, it's being implemented in Sichuan this semester, from a couple friends that I know that have schools.

No recruitment of kids under six. No subject training on weekends and during vacations.
Art, dance, etc, still ok.

Online is also over. My buddy working at VIP said when the contracts are over in a month or so, he's done.
I understand it's the same for mainland.

Also no foreigners are supposed to be allowed at training centers, but I too have seen ads still.

Perhaps each province will go at it's own rate...

My buddy in Shanghai said it would all be illegal in three years, so confused on what's going on a bit.

In Sichuan they can work on the weekend, but it can be one on one only, at the child's home.

Or they can teach adults, and the kids can audit, ha.

livinginchina (232 posts) • 0

More companies of all types are now questioning whether it's worth setting up businesses in China if they can on a whim change the rules. Look at Didi, Tencent, etc. If they can do that to their own companies, how much more can they do to foreigners. I'm curious to see how it will all play out in the next few months.

jj123 (99 posts) • 0

Well it's really not a whim, per se.

Parents have been complaining about costs, and as one person said, teachers are well known to have "private" classes for the test material, because, as far as I hear it, the test material isn't exactly the same as the material taught in class/books, etc.

And they charge some insane prices...u ever wonder how all these teachers are driving those nice fancy cars?!??! haha

And the govt is hoping this will increase births, I think most think this is foolish.

Perhaps there's an ulterior

motive??

And this is not an ALL at once action.

I just heard from my buddy in Nanchong, second largest city in Sichuan, they are not starting there, but perhaps in some time. He said they talked with the education bureau and they want to see how it works out in CD first...
Perhaps this is what is happening in Shanghai and other places as well.

Reminds me of when BJ handed down a bunch of new restrictions for teachers, and it backfired, the schools couldn't get teachers.

It will be a slow phasing out of English, under the guise of other subjects as well, is my guess, but also to help relieve pressure on parents and the cost burdens...and I suppose the corruption of the teachers and headmasters, if it is to be considered corruption.

Seems they are missing some of the main culprits of this education setup, but don't govts usually do??

rejected_goods (349 posts) • -1

it is all about "putting capitalism back in ever shrinking cage." seems nothing to do with anything else. :-)

people are told to push the "non-profit and price regulation" cart. :))))) when only the tool you have is a hammer, ...................

JanJal (1243 posts) • -1

Related to these developments specifically about banning English tutoring, I'm already rejoicing here over our "natively" bilingual 4 year old's future academic and job opportunities compared to his peers.

Related forum threads

Login to post