论坛

Teaching in Kunming/China

JanJal (1243 posts) • 0

Could be fishing for the increasing(?) number of permanent residency holders, who need no work permit?

tigertigerathome (172 posts) • 0

@livinginchina, there are all those English teachers and other subject teachers already in China, who can easily have work permits renewed. There has been a trend over the last 10 years for more 'schools' to offer extra-curricular activities, mainly sports, which is attractive to both the parents of prospective students, and for some teachers. I am sure that 4 hours of paid sports coaching as part of any teaching contract would be attractive to many potential staff.

livinginchina (232 posts) • 0

You're right. The key being 'already in China'. I doubt foreigners will be looking to China to teach. South America, Thailand, South Korea, etc. will have an influx of teachers I guess.

DanDare (141 posts) • 0

Of course foreigners are looking to China to teach. It is just no new work visas are being issued outside China right now. Berk.

JanJal (1243 posts) • 0

@tiger: " trend over the last 10 years for more 'schools' to offer extra-curricular activities, mainly sports,"

I believe the question is about the trend of last 1-2 months of policy changes that ban these 'schools' from providing profitable education in English or other core subjects.

It is not a matter of getting a lucrative English teaching job and doing sports coaching or whatever extra few hours on the side. The side dish is now sold as the main meal.

Real schools are of course another matter.

Also, work permit renewal assumes that you renew it for your existing employer. Changing employer is applying for new work permit from the scratch, and even if you are in China already, the new employer has to document and show the need to hire you as well.

You can, in some jurisdictions, avoid getting work visa if you are already in the country, but you will still need a new work permit tied to the new employer.

JanJal (1243 posts) • 0

Not sure if stemming from new regulations or stricter enforcement of old ones (increased enforcement likely being part of the new regulations anyway), but our kid's kindergarten is changing some things for the term starting next week.

These small changes have probably little impact on foreigners' teaching opportunities in China, but they can perhaps shed light on the policy changes on ground level in Chinese families.

Firstly the pickup time is extended from 17 to 18, basically adding one more hour to the kindergarten day - without extra cost, probably because they were told to do this after families had already paid for this term. Next semester the prices may increase, but on the other hand authorities want to to reduce financial burden of families, so maybe not.

Reasons cited include better conforming to laws on work/rest times, and serving the dinner meal to children closer to the time that they would normally eat dinner - previously there was a meal served before exit at about 16:30, now it will be 17:30.

Some other reasons mentioned include delaying the pickup after worst rush hour, and something about "second treasure, third treasure" - which I can only interpret as giving families more time to care for their hopeful second and third children.

So I would say that there is a wide range of small changes happening, in various levels of raising children here.

livinginchina (232 posts) • -1

There's an ad here in which they are looking for an English teacher for two twelve year old boys. My guess is that there will be more and more parents looking. English has always been an important language to learn if you want to engage with the outside world. I doubt that the Chinese language will ever be given how hard it is to speak, learn and write.

Related forum threads

Login to post