论坛

Ban on smoking starts May 1st

JustSomeGuy (23 posts) • 0

I see the country-wide ban on smoking in indoor public spaces (hotels, restaurants, theaters and waiting rooms at railway stations and airports, etc.) starts May 1st. But given the apparent lack of clear rules for punishing business owners who allow patrons to smoke or patrons who persist in violating the rules, the history of poor enforcement of similar laws and the sheer number of smokers here, I just don't see this having much of an effect.

What do you guys think?

en.kunming.cn/index/content/2011-04/29/content_2512480.htm

mailman (48 posts) • 0

The other day I saw security officers smoking inside the Kunming airport. I wonder if concerned citizens should be allowed to slap officials to ensure that the ban is implemented efficiently? )))

laotou (1714 posts) • 0

Based on China's relatively new government AND it's HUGE population - I'm guessing that the government FIRST implements various laws without significant enforcement, to get the population accustomed to them, then slowly moves the culture towards acceptance. I was once told by a cop in the USA (a LONG time ago) that they can legally stop almost anyone for any number of civil infractions. The tobacco industry is a major source of revenue for both Kunming and Yunnan. As in American tobacco states, I seriously doubt smoking bans can or will be seriously enforced in our lifetimes unless the community or culture demands it.

Beijing is, of course, different.

JustSomeGuy (23 posts) • 0

I see (based on a thorough scientific survey (2 establishments - what, that's not a sufficient sample size?) that the ban seems to be wholly ignored. I am shocked, simply shocked that on this first day of the new rules no one seems to care. ;-)

laotou (1714 posts) • 0

For Kunming, I'd rather see enforcement of traffic laws - especially at traffic signals - for pedestrians, autos, AND the infinite ebikes who always block the crosswalk. Rude rude rude rude rude. Seems this is the prevailing culture of Kunming - rude rude rude rude rude, not to mention spitting and littering.

rejected_goods (349 posts) • 0

well, the practice of enforcing laws in china, except those 'offence' that are perceived to be a imminent threat to people in power, is a bit like putting a message in a bottle and throwing the bottle in the ocean, and hoping......hoping......hoping. hhahahhah :-)

AlPage48 (1394 posts) • 0

Enforcement is not the first problem with new laws. I've been in two restaurants since the new non-smoking rules came into effect. The first was a Japanese restaurant on the 6th floor of Brilliant Plaza. Ashtrays were still on the tables and restaurant patrons were smoking while walking around the buffet.
Today we were at Club Dubai on Lin Yu Lu. This is an extremely large upscale place. Ash trays are still distributed. We commented on this to the young lady who was seating us and she was not even aware of the new law - and THAT is the problem. There's a new law for restaurants but nobody has been told about it!!!!!

Related forum threads

Login to post