论坛

Flour!

Ian_Kunming (126 posts) • 0

Hi there,
I'm looking for rye flour and wholemeal flour to extend my range of bread creations. I know there's some stuff at Metro, but there must be something more reasonably priced...
Thanks.

emmi1 (8 posts) • 0

Hi Ian, I think the wholemeal flour in Wicker Basket is the best value around. I have only been to the West one but I'm sure they have it in the North one too. Not sure about Rye flour.

Greginchina (239 posts) • 0

We've recently moved from Kunming to Beijing and I lost my digital scales and measuring cup in the move. So I bought some prepackaged bread mixtures from Jenny Lou's in Beijing. I got a rye bread mixture (including a sachet of yeast) and it turned out to be really tasty. It wasn't cheap though. If you google Jenny Lou's they have a delivery service, they may even deliver to Kunming.

laotou (1714 posts) • 0

You can also try to source expat stuff from here:

www.beijinghomedelivery.com

But it's best if you order over ¥100 (maybe ¥500?) to make it worth their effort. Not sure if they take paypal, visa, etc - but just send them a message for details and if you don't see what you want - just ask - they'll source it for you with a nominal markup if the quantity and demand is sufficient.

Dan Siekman (102 posts) • 0

I think Salvador's is selling bags of whole wheat that they ground themselves with organic wheat purchased from the Shaxi area.

colinflahive (167 posts) • 0

Salvador's now has 1.4 kilo bags of freshly stone-ground, whole wheat flour for 30RMB. We will soon have rye flour for sale. You can check out other products we sell at www.greenkunming.com.

JanJal (1243 posts) • 0

Not sure if there is newer thread, but I'll use this. This is mostly a language question though.

Rye flour.

Like few times before, I asked the other half to purchase some on internet.

Delivery came, and now that I got to baking I checked the bags and can't figure out if this is really rye flour, or black wheat flour. I believe previously we have used products that had English label, but this only has Chinese.

Best that I can figure out, is that the Chinese characters are 黑麦 (hēi mài) for both "rye" and "black wheat", although these are different species of plant.

So, is there a better Chinese translation specifically for rye?

I'm going to try bake anyway and see if it turns out right.

lemon lover (1006 posts) • +2

Indeed different species but if you buy "black wheat" in China you will get rye because that is the official word for rye. Black wheat will be "hei xiao mai".

Related forum threads

Login to post