论坛

Moving whole family (inc. 2 toddlers) to Kunming

LR227 (3 posts) • 0

Hi:

I was just wondering if anyone had any perspective on moving with two small children from the US to Kunming to live for at least a year. Although I have spent time in China, I have never been to Kunming, and don't know much about the city or the expat community.

Our kids will be 1.5 and 2.5 respectively, and I would love to hear from anyone that has kids around the same age.

Thanks!

laotou (1714 posts) • 0

responsible ayi's (nannies) in KM are extremely difficult to find. Good ayi's are as expensive as in major cities such as beijing or shanghai. Agencies are usually just body shops - in beijing an ayi has to survive at least one week before you have to pay them. If you return an ayi before the week is up - they work (or lack of work) for free. You should expect to pay about ¥900 for a poorly trained ayi and about ¥1500 or more for reasonably responsible ayi's. If one of the spouses is home all the time - the lower cost ayi is a good way to go and you can supervise her.

Make sure you have a list of things you want done EVERY DAY so the ayi knows her duties. If you use an agency and they supply you with poor performing ayis, demand a refund and look for another agency.

Word of mouth is usually the best reference but it's hit & miss.

ALSO - check the ayi's work history - if she hasn't lasted more than 1 year (for the allegedly experienced ayis) - run away from both the agency and the ayi.

Finally - protect your valuables - ALWAYS. I suggest purchase of a small safe or lockbox to store precious metals, jewelry etc - just to avoid misunderstandings. Ayi's will frequently store things any ol place - so they haven't actually stolen anything - just filed it in an incredibly difficult place for you to find.

ALWAYS check the receipts AND the location of the dry cleaner the ayi uses - better to instruct her to use a specific dry cleaner - so if you replace her - you haven't lost your dry cleaning.

Finally - best to grocery shop yourself as ayi's will buy instant ore pre-cooked foods which can double to triple your grocery bills...or more.

EXPATS typically live in the NW to W of kunming - typically around the Yunnan National University area. Others live in the NE areas (check the locations of the various restaurants and expat cafe houses - that's a sign of expat patronage.

There are expat bilingual schools down south near the airport area but you should check the place for sanitation - look at the kitchen and the kitchen staff, bathrooms, etc. Rent is cheap near the airport area - but getting there is a hassle if you live across town.

Kunming traffic during rush hour rivals most large cities (6+million people) - however the inner city is only about 4km in diameter.

Learn to take taxis across town so you know the general fee - and taxi drivers here treat their taxis as personal vehicles. If it's inconvenient - they'll refuse the fare (illegal in larger cities such as beijing).

Kunming is still a developing region - so be exceptionally careful with your wallets - pickpockets will especially target you as you will be distracted with 2 toddlers in tow.

My children are in primary school now - but schools here are incredibly overcrowded - typically 70+ students per class.

If you have an employer here - make sure they will help you with transportation (buses during rush hour are notorious for pickpockets and thieves and stuffed to seeming over-capacity).

The police are your friends - never be afraid to contact them in the event of a theft or fraud - and listen to their recommendations. Also - find a good foreign (english speaking) hospital or clinic as your toddlers will require vaccinations - the expat places are of course more expensive and english is typically barely communicable - but most physicians can somewhat read/write english so you can try to communicate that way.

also (not a plug) get an iphone or similar device which has a built-in english-chinese/chinese english dictionary with PINYIN pronounciations - including tones. it costs the same as a good e-dictionary - but includes mobile abilities (make sure you can use it here - gsm is best but expensive, cdma is ok...but cheaper. Finally get the numbers to expat hotels - in an emergency you can ask the concierge for bilingual assistance.

Aside from the warnings - kunming is a beautiful and wonderful place to live - you can experience all four seasons on a single day. Remember the altitude here is 2km - so you'll get more UV exposure and the air is thinner - and when it rains - it's cold.

Good luck - most expats are helpful - many eccentric - but that makes everyone incredibly interesting!

farrha (3 posts) • 0

jack s mother panpan in her 40s /she is my elder sister too /it is farrha /i have lived in diamondbar for couple of month in CA.

she can help you to take care of kids

ted321@hotmail.com

LR227 (3 posts) • 0

The kids will have gotten most of their vaccines--that is why we are waiting until they are past the year mark--but my Chinese medical vocabulary is non-existent, so those were all good ideas.

Thank you so much for the extensive advice. It is hugely helpful!

Related forum threads

Login to post