论坛

Your favorite Kunming Chinese restaurant?

satii (82 posts) • -2

Riding this thread to share with everyone a unique taste many residing in Yunnan most likely haven't tried before. And best part is the entire meal is FREE for those who follow the restaurant's official WeChat account prior to October 31. Register to enter the one day free lunch/dinner promotion.

The restaurant is called "吃饭皇帝大" (my own translation: A feast surpassing that of the emperor's).

They feature local flavours of Hunan Province's Xiangxi Tujia and Miao Autonomous Prefecture (湘西土家族苗族自治州).

Dishes and tastes are pleasantly different. For example, individual leaf covered clay pot vessels are used to bake some form of marinated meat stew. Before serving, ethnic folk chanting and drumming of pot takes place. The clay is then cracked open, unleashing the aromatic flavors. Yes, the routine is for show and somewhat gimmicky, but the taste is superb. Also, their broiled fish are stuffed with glutinous rice like ones wrapped in banana leaves, or 粽子. Kind of like stuffed turkey but for fish. An ineffable, gastronomic blend which I highly recommend ordering.

The restaurant decor and waiters' attire, including the wooden plates and bowls heighten the Xiangxi Tujia locality vibe, but accented with a fancy tone as required by Golden Eagle Shopping Centre.

I've dined here for their 90% off grand opening a month or two back. The food and atmosphere was fantastic. This time it's on the house. Too bad I won't be around then.

Btw, in the next several days most restaurants (excluding Haidilao Hotpot) at Golden Eagle will participate in the 59 for 100 deal, so look for that as well.

吃饭皇帝大 is located on the 6th floor of Golden Eagle Shopping Center B Building (青年路418号金鹰购物中心B6).

Related forum threads

Login to post