论坛

New in Chenggong- need activities

LEIFOLINIJUNIOR (5 posts) • 0

Hello,
I'm an exchange student who live in Chenggong and study at the Minzu university.

So far I can't find much to do here in Chenggong, beside from eating fantastic street food + pizza. So I wonder what other students who live in Chenggong does on their spare time???? (Beside from taking the metro to Kunming because we all love Salvadors). I don't want to go to Kunming every day because it takes too much time.

Haali (1178 posts) • 0

Same as people do in most places. Watch movies (at home or in the cinema) go on dates, go for a walk/run in that clean(er) Chenggong air. There are some mountains to climb near Chenggong.

bucko (695 posts) • 0

I live here as well. My house is my entertainment center.

It will be several more years before Chenggong builds more infrastructure. It is slow going because this town vacates and shuts down at every holiday due to all the students leaving. A business has a hard time staying open with no customers.

Personally I like it this way. Peaceful and quiet is nice. Go to Kunming if you need outside activity. You won't find it here.

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

There is old Chenggong. Two to five subway stops, you get dounan flower market, lousiwan clothes market, sports shopping complex, then a carrefour. Forgot the name of the stops, but ask your Chinese classmates about these, and they should know.

maemae8 (17 posts) • 0

Take the metro to New Asia Athletic Town, many KTVs, restaurants and gym as well. You can come and we can hangout sometimes

haofei (6 posts) • 0

Hi there. This post kind of scares me. Arriving in Chenggong in 2 months or so for a semester at Yuda and trying to find some information / feedback about life in Chenggong. Is it better to stay in campus, or maybe commute everyday ? I plan to study hard weekdays but I can't stay indoors in my weekends and evenings, not my type at all! Anyone else currently in Chenggong or planning to be next year?

Haali (1178 posts) • 0

I don't know much about Chenggong other than that it's a half empty new city. I suggest you use your holidays to travel around to places in China or nearby countries you haven't seen. If you get bored of Chenggong on weekends you can book a friday/saturday night in a hostel in Kunming centre and have a night out in the real city.

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

You're not trapped in Chenggong. There is a subway out to Kunming city center, or if you're in good shape, can cycle to south Kunming in an hour along a pretty nice road. That being said, many like the OP of this thread find heading off to Kunming every time they need a taste of expat life gets tiresome quickly. If somehow you can't manage, you can choose to study Chinese at a uni or private language school in Kunming, albeit your scholarship goes to waste.

voltaire (225 posts) • 0

You can visit Chengjiang (Fuxian Lake). It's about 18/person to get the bus from Luosiwan, or 100/car to be driven direct from the southernmost subway stop, Daxuecheng Nan Zhan ('University Town South').

There you can find basic hotel rooms for 60, a horse and cart or a bus to the lake, food, mountains to climb with some OK forest, views and dams, a bus to the Maotianshan fossil site, etc.

Soon there will be a high speed train line heading east to Guangxi from Kunming. Once that is installed, you will be well placed to visit Guangnan in Wenshan amongst other locations. It should be done in a year or two.

Related forum threads

Login to post