论坛

Police Certificate for Immigration Visa Concern

vagabond48 (75 posts) • 0

I am applying for a Green card for my Chinese wife. She took her police report to the largest Notary Public in Yunnan (Kunming MingXin) to have translated to English and certified. This Notary Public has a department solely for foreign related notarization especially documents required for US green card applications. When I got the police certificate booklet back, it did not included the original police report but the Notary Public rewrite of the report with my wife's photo. The manager said under Chinese law that they were required to keep the original report. She did make a copy of the original for us. She said this was normal and would be accepted by the US Immigration Visa unit. I have read in a number of websites that notarized booklet without the original police report will be rejected. Unfortunately, the Guangzhou IV unit can not be reached without a case number.
Anyone have any experience with this issue.

Ouyang (243 posts) • 0

My wife's police report also didn't include the original report. She passed without any problems. I'll double check tomorrow morning to see what's inside, but I think they just retyped it and printed it in a big white notebook looking thing.

laotou (1714 posts) • 0

Usually the OFFICIAL interpreters do NOT keep the originals. They make certified copies (especially of foreigner's stuff, like birth certificates).

Guess this is a lesson for all - ALWAYS get MULTIPLE copies of important original domestically spawned documents.

I want to revise what I wrote. I just reviewed the document saw that their document was not a rewrite but that it attests that my wife did not have a criminal record up to the date of the original certificate but does not reference the original police certificate number. I want to add that the manager was quite adamant regarding their procedure and that all notary public do this the same way. To be frank the police certificate printed at the police station is only a 1/2 page and doesn't look very official except for the red stamp but I am still surprised they don't include it in the white booklet or reference its number. Again I want to stress we did not go to a translator but to a large Notary Public Agency that translates and certifies documents. We actually never met the translator only the person who notarizes the documents.

Ouyang (243 posts) • 0

I looked this morning, and pretty much all the official documents came out this way in China after translation. We ended up getting three "copies" of everything. One to give the the consulate. One to keep in China, and one to take to the US. I think they're also included in the brown bag of stuff we give to immigration upon arrival too. So we'll actually have two of everything in the US.

Thanks all for your replies.
Ouyang, got a question for you if you don't mind,
Does your booklet have a document (in English) that certifies that the English translation conforms with the original.
My certification states
"Issue under notarization: the translation is in conformity with the original. This is to certify that the English translation of the NOTARIAL CERTIFICATE (document NO. xxxx) attached hereto is in conformity with the Chinese original."
Does yours say something very similar or the same?

That is assuming you used a different Notary Public than I.
The reason I ask is that differs from what I have read that the translator must certify that they are fluent in English and Chinese and that the above/attached document xxxxx is an accurate translation of the xxxxxx document attached entitled. It must be signed by the translator.

Mandrake (129 posts) • 0

I have applied for a relatives permit for my wife and son to go back and visit my Family. They also kept the police clearance certificate as well. However my embassy accepted the notarized document. As it is notarized, it is considered to be as valid as the original document. That is the reason for notarization. So you should not have issues with the US embassy.

Related forum threads

Login to post