论坛

global warming

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

Who out there thinks global warming is either not happening or has nothing to do with human activity, and why?

blobbles (958 posts) • 0

Getting harder and harder to deny its going on with extreme weather events becoming more common and corroborating evidence. In Kunming we can probably expect repetition or worse of the past 10 years - extreme drought years followed by extreme rain years.

I would say the science is never settled though, I hate that statement because science is never settled. People still question and try to disprove the theories of relativity and so they should, despite them being virtually undeniably verified so many times that its virtually pointless to try. But in trying to prove something is not true given a particular set of circumstances and finding out that it is true adds to the canon and validity of the theory.

Sure its possible that its not humans causing warming, but its certainly not probable given the weight of evidence and so much corroboration. We are most certainly having some effect - with 7 billion people using the resources of the planet faster than they can be replaced (what was the last estimate? 2.5 earths we now require?), you would be silly to say we are having zero effect on the biosphere that is linked to the conversion of those resources. What that effect is should continue to be researched but warming is definitely occurring according to verifiable temperature readings, so it appears to be the outcome of human activities.

I completely encourage people to continue to question it though, but not to trot out complete bollocks from (usually) Koch funded "think tanks".

I also dislike the focus on warming, I much prefer the term Climate Change as it better reflects a layman's view of what is happening. This can be seen when warming is the likely cause behind extreme snow events like the last N American winter and everyone scratches their heads over why its so cold when the layman's term states "warming". General warming is an effect but so is acidification of the oceans, loss of glacial ice, extreme rains/droughts/snow etc etc.

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • 0

I think a lot of it is just the earth doing it's thing. However, mankind is always trying to manipulate the weather for destructive and monetary gains. Just look at the chem trails and HAARP. Look at the fracking that's going on. I'm sure some of the warming is natural but who really knows what the evil doers are doing. This planet is so amazing and it's a shame what we do to it.

mike4g_air (788 posts) • 0

Agree with bobbles on all points, especially the layman's term "Warming"

Climate change is more accurate.

In time mother earth will cleanse itself from the parasite we call "humanity" although by then we'll be a thin layer of sediments in it's geological history.

laotou (1714 posts) • 0

...or rather, we'll replenish the fossil fuels with our own bodies - America will be rich in fossil fuels due to their obese dieting habits...

Magnifico (1981 posts) • 0

simple deductive reasoning can be used to answer the question:
al gore made a film about global warming —> global warming has more to do with politics than science

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

I hold no particular brief for Al Gore, but another deduction might be the following: scientists became concerned about global warming long before Gore made the film -> Gore made a film about global warming (and yes of course political considerations played a part in his making of the film - he is/was, after all, a politician). If you check the dates and the seriousness of scientific concern, you'll see my logic

blobbles (958 posts) • 0

Yep, you may as well state that Catholicism is all about football because Cristiano Ronaldo is a football playing Catholic.

Magnifico (1981 posts) • 0

A local person told me that this past winter was the coldest Kunming has had in 10 years.

Some parts of the US also had one of the coldest winters in 20 years recently.

The theory is clearly not accurate or entirely made up for political purposes.

And throughout history, the climate has always been changing. Blame God 98% and humans 2%.

Related forum threads

Login to post