论坛

moving to Kunming

newlaowai (20 posts) • +1

@tigertiger - thanks for the info. I'm hopefully going to visit soon, but can't really visit for more than 2 days at a time at the moment. Thanks for the heads up in the rental terms. Good to know this.

@sting - I appreciate the offer but I really do need my own place now. Btw, how far away from the centre of Kunming is BeiChen? A friend has mentioned this area to me recently.

@Halli - great info, north and north West Kunming

@Alien the 2000-2500¥ a month is for the rent (+utilities, service fees, internet etc..). This amount doesn't include beer, shopping, eating out, transport etc.. the amount is just for accommodation costs.

@Dazzer, thanks, I think!

@Liumingke1234 - having a good time?

@Sandrine - thank you. I will send wechat message shortly.

@ Edward143 - thanks for the information. I'll contact Matthew.

Thanks all very much for taking the time to provide information and advice.

jluc777 (2 posts) • +1

Hi newlaowai in Kunming
For family reason I have to leave China this year. You could take my apartment - very good location, very nice apartment. All furnitures and appliances are mine - but you can make a good deal. Have only high end staff like washing machine with hot water, VPN-Router-Wifi, Jura automatic coffee machine, private gym equipment, etc...

Please take contact we me
Wechat - Whats'app: jluc77
email lausannech@hotmail.com

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

@ newlaowai: Well, I guess I got that wrong. Y2000-2500 per month is indeed enough for rent. My flat (old building, 7th (top) floor walkup: bedroom; 2 glassed-in sun porches, to south & north respectively, the one to the south provides considerable heat when the sun shines, which is usually; sitting room with furniture; kitchen; small office; old-style toilet with shower; solar heated water - costs me Y1000/month, plus peanuts for gas & electric; I signed lease in early December. A particularly good deal, I think, but you can certainly find a place for less than Y2000/mo., but of course it depends on what you want to pay for.

JanJal (1243 posts) • 0

Beichen is essentially northern center of the city, with many of the shopping and entertainment opportunities that you would go to city center for, readily available in the location.

And it's not that far from city center (unlike the southern new development of Chenggong - that you probably want to avoid).

We live about half-way between city center and Beichen (if measured by subway stops), and we frequently go to Beichen for shopping.

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • 0

Beichen has
Pizza Hut
McDonald's
Metro
Movie theater
Walmart
Shopping centers
and more. It's worth looking into it.

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • +1

Beichen is ok, but the heart of kunming and expat life is still around green lake/wenlinjie area, which 2500 can still get you your own place. Closer to more language schools too.

newlaowai (20 posts) • 0

@ Alien - thanks for sharing. i appreciate the insight.

@ JanJal / Liumingke1234 - thank you both, BeiChen seems to have a lot going for it.

@ AlexKMG - Peace and Quiet (If that can ever be found in China) is important for me and my work. But good to know there is an expat life in Kunming.

Thanks all for taking the time to respond. Greatly appreciated.

Related forum threads

Login to post