GoKunming Forums

New sim card

peter7 (29 posts) • 0

We arrived yesterday in Kunming for a trip of 5 weeks in the area, we normally always buy a new sim card to use for contacting hotels etc and driver. However in Kunming we were not able to buy a new SIM card china mobile told us today they do not sell to foreigners !! In the past we allways bought them in shanghai or Beijing and we had never a problem what is the issue??

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

My experience is that some outlets sell to foreigners and some don't. Something about registration - tried to do it once, didn't work, they wanted some info I didn't have. I've avoided the whole issue somehow, through laziness about doing what I wanted and by having an old cellphone with an old sim card - can't even remember how I did this, but I can still put in RMB & renew my old sim card at local storefront shop over the counter, takes about 30 seconds, did it yesterday.
Good luck.

yankee00 (1632 posts) • 0

It was mentioned in a previous thread on the forum that people need to show their ID to buy new cards now and that some shops thought it was too troublesome to register anything else than a shenfenzhen. The bigger official stores might be able to do it.

peter7 (29 posts) • 0

I showed my passport including visa at the china mobile shop on jinbi park, any one has a suggestion were to go?
Updating my old SIM card bought in Beijing I have not tried as it is not used for 18 months

mPRin (821 posts) • 0

If you don't have any problem with the sim not being registered in your name. Then go to the computer market street. 121 street / Yuantong Bei lu and ask in any of the small streetside kiosks selling cigarettes etc. They will sell you a sim with credit and 3G mobile internet for around 100 RMB. Of course if you lose your phone or something you can't get the same number back. I did this about 2 weeks ago.

yankee00 (1632 posts) • 0

The post by xb6asd might be helpful:

www.gokunming.com/[...]

There's a large shop right at the north-east corner of Renmin Zhonglu + Baita Lu. It's the one that also shows internet and 3g services from the outside.

peter7 (29 posts) • 0

We went today to green park on the way back we passed a big china mobile shop (on two floors) I believe it was on the corner of Fuchen street and Dongfeng street without any problem I could by a new simcard after showing my (Dutch) passport
So sorted out!

mPRin (821 posts) • 0

@Peter.How much was the SIM? Did it come with credit and mobile data? It's handy when you have a SIM registered to your passport, as if you do lose your phone you can get a replacement SIM free of charge. Same number with your remaining credit/ mobile data etc. I'll be doing this next time I lose my phone ( I seem to have a habit of doing this. )

Related forum threads

Login to post