GoKunming Forums

Applying for a visa when coming to study

baoandi (16 posts) • 0

Can anyone offer me any recent information or advice, please?

I am planning to come and study Chinese in Kunming for a year or more. I have been told by YunDa that I should apply for a tourist visa (L) and then apply for a student visa (X2) after I arrive. The visa application requires me to provide proof of return flight and accommodation. Should I mention on the visa application that I plan to apply for a student visa for long-term study?

Why not apply for the visa for long-term study up front? It seems a deception to state that the major purpose of my visit is tourism when it is in fact long-term study. I then need to book travel dates which support what I am applying for.

I'm currently based in the UK. Would it be easier to wait and apply for the visa when I reach HK? (I have permanent HK ID, and I'm planning to spend a week or so there on the way to Kunming.)

Thanks in advance,
baoandi

YuantongsiYuantongsi (717 posts) • 0

For student visas the Uni will normally ask people to arrive on a tourist visa and then change it to a X student visa/Residence Permit. When you apply for your tourist visa in the UK show them your invitation from the Uni, this should get your tourist visa, then when you are here get the Uni to get your residence permit. It maybe that the Chinese embassy in the UK gives your a special short term entry visa, but most likely they will just give a tourist visa.

baoandi (16 posts) • 0

Yuantongsi, thanks for your reply.

What do people usually do about return tickets in these circumstances?

kevlar (42 posts) • 0

I imagine you can apply for a student visa in the first instance, but to do so you would need all the documentation from the uni/school to support your application. That means enrolling and paying fees up front, and having the school mail them to you (I think original documents are required). If you have the time, that's fine. The first way you mentioned is easier, and the Chinese gov't. don't mind taking two lots of visa fees from you.

hanshan (32 posts) • 0

I guess not after the change of visa politic in 2013 you can come with L visa and here change to study visa but may can not ger resident permit. Only if you come with student visa from outside you can get here resident permit. Is maybe wrong but friends told me this

Serrure (132 posts) • 0

I'm currently studying Chinese at Yunda. I arrived in September '13 with X (student) visa and during first week I had it changed into residence permit for 11 months. I received an admission notice and visa application from Yunda and used it to get a student visa, return ticket was not needed for that. Soon I'll change school in China and the other university informed me that it looks exactly the same - they give me admission notice and visa application, I apply for a student visa in my country, come to China and have it changed to residence permit. I'm from EU country too, so I suppose the procedure is the same.

hanshan (32 posts) • 0

I think this new things was changed in 10/2013 or so. I guess here must be someone who start study from 2014 and have experience with change L visa to another type.

prot_d (5 posts) • 0

I just had a tourist visa and now I'm waiting for a short term student visa (the school has done all the necessary administration concerning the visa change at the PSB, not me.)

For the tourist visa I booked some random hotels and after I got the visa I cancelled the booking. (I'm sorry for misleading the hotels, but I saw no other way.) With return ticket I did it similarly.

mPRin (821 posts) • 0

I have known several people who have arrived on tourist visas and changed to student visas here in Kunming post September '13. It seems commonplace.
Most schools are reluctant to mail out documents to you up front. ( I don't know why ) and would you be willing to pay upfront without seeing the school first hand anyway?

If you arrive on a tourist visa and realise for one reason or another you don't like the school you initially decided on, it's no problem to change to another as you have no commitments.
I would definitely advise coming here and checking out several schools before making your decision.

Related forum threads

Login to post