GoKunming Forums

Blood donations

Lorena (58 posts) • 0

Hey, just wanted to ask if anyone knows if there's a place where negative blood can be donated and kept in case of need. Thing is negative blood is even more rare in Asia than in the west (less than 1% of Asians have it), so it would be nice if that could be done. Or perhaps having some kind of registry for donors...? I'm A-, if anyone needs it.

YuantongsiYuantongsi (717 posts) • 0

I don't know if they will put you on a registry but you can donate blood at any of those mobile blood donation places. There is one in Xiao Xi Men (opposte Walmart) and also one at the walking street.

You need to show them your passport.

Lorena (58 posts) • 0

Mmm... Not quite what I had in mind. I know about those buses for donations, but from there it goes anywhere, and because my blood is negative, and A+ is the most common blood type in China, it can be given to anyone, but it's a bit of a waste, in the sense that there are millions of donors of A+ and only very few of A-. I was thinking more of a place where they specifically store rare blood types.

Long-Dragon (390 posts) • 0

We posted here after the 301 train station attack where to donate blood in Chinese and English, with whomj to contact. There is Yunnan Red Cross information too.

The blood you donate in those mobile buses is then sent to the Red Cross blood bank for testing and filing. If you have a rare blood type then your blood will be very welcome I am sure.

onlyone (156 posts) • 0

Hello,
It happened that once I had a Chinese student with a negative blood, do not remember though weather it was A. Yes it's very rare in China. I will let you know if I go information about her or people similar to her.

Elisa (174 posts) • 0

I am also A-, but have never been able to donate in the US because I'm below the required weight. Does anyone know if there's an option in China to donate a smaller amount so that I could give blood safely? I weigh about 100 lbs.

They give you the option of how much you want to give (within a range), as most Chinese are quite light I guess you can donate something.

Silvio DaVinci (282 posts) • 0

For your information about the Chinese healthcare system:

If you donate blood, you give yourself and your family members "priority rights" in case you need blood.
If you don't do that, you start at the bottom of the list in case you need a transfusion, operation or any other reason for blood.
If you do donate blood, you get a "blood donation booklet which lists your name, ID number and blood type and it allows you and your family members to use it in case of emergency or just need. Showing it moves you or them to the top of the list.

About donation size: yes, they do have different size bags depending on the person doing the donation.
I think I did 300ml (and weigh 63kg), but I saw smaller bags (like 200ml). So I think you're fine.
Military in some European countries take 500ml I heard.

I may do another donation soon as I'm glad I did mine last year (earthquake, train station thing that happened, family member's operation). I think we can set an example and have more people donate blood. I was the only one who did it and being there made many more people come in and donate. I did mine at the trailer on the square with the horse and rooster gates (central square of KM).
Plus you get a gift which was actually very nice. And I get Happy Birthday wishes on my phone which works as a reminder haha.

Related forum threads

Login to post