GoKunming Forums

Travel to U.S.A Bringing ErHu with Snake Skin

ZiJiaYi (4 posts) • 0

We just bought an Erhu with python snake skin. Is it possible for us to take it to the U.S.A.? Does anyone know if the U.S. Custom will allow us to bring it in? Thanks

blobbles (958 posts) • 0

Generally no western country that has its own farms and wildlife will accept animal products of any sort that are not in a sealed bag. Even many woods are not accepted. This is because they present a biosecurity risk to the country's primary industries.

Likely they will also not accept something like snakeskin unless you cannot prove through a valid certificate (which they can accept), due to not knowing if it is an endangered animal. They will err on the side of caution and ask it be destroyed. This is particularly true of anything coming from destinations such as China/SE Asia which are famous for their endangered species trafficking and lax enforcement of biosecurity hazards.

You *may* be able to convince them that it is not from an endangered species and then that it goes through a decontamination process at your own expense, I have heard of this a couple of times. But it is a real lottery and unlikely to succeed, in my opinion, I wouldn't try it.

Ifoundthetuna (370 posts) • 0

The examples above are for loose items, samples or specimen.

A musical instrument is nothing as posted above.

There are exceptions for musical instruments. If not, many musical instruments couldn't be imported or transported.

It'll be hard to find the details for snake skin erhus but I am sure that you can find a way to bring it.
It may take you a bit of research and filing customs reports etc. but should be possible.

Otherwise you wouldn't be able to travel with violin strings since they are made of guts.

Good luck

redjon77 (510 posts) • 0

Might be not quite same thing but similar, I had a couple bottles of laos alcohol taken of me for containing the skin skin!

Related forum threads

Login to post