GoKunming Forums

Where can i buy a wooden board

chris8080 (226 posts) • 0

I need to get hold of a wooden board for some DIY purpose in my apartment but i have no idea where to get it. I just need a simple piece of wood cut to accurate dimensions (210cm X 110cm X 3cm) and delivered to my place. If anyone knows where i can acquire such a thing please do let me know. Thanks.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

3cm? That is a thick board. You could get it at the timber market, but you would have to pay for the whole board length (at least 1.5m) and they would not deliver.
Also what kind of timber are you looking for? Softwood, hardwood, ply?
If you can give us a clue as the the purpose, alternatives could also be suggested.

I need it to make an improvised inner door to my apartment. I think hardwood would be better if that's more soundproof. But softwood perfectly adequate and i guess cheaper. Is there not a DIY place somewhere? Or perhaps a building contractor who could supply it? I dont mind paying above the odds. A simple piece of wood can't be that much anyway.

It would probably be easier, better, and perhaps even cheaper to buy a cheap but solid wood door.

If you tell the door makers the purpose, they may even be able to advise on the best materials.

They will even deliver, frame, and fit it for you. Price would be in the region of 1000-2000 rmb. including delivery, framing, hinges, handles and fitting. And it would look good.

If you want a cheaper but not solid wood door, for about 500-600, that may also work well for soundproofing. These are usually mdf.

I think the trick would be to leave sufficient space between the two doors.
Hopefully your existing door opens outwards.

You can buy sheets of wood, and get it cut to size, but the thickest I have seen is 18mm, as such you would need to glue up sheets to get your 3cm, and then you would still have to hang the door. Ply is about 180 rmb for a 144/280 sheet. You can pay less but it would be full of voids, and so no use when cut, and you can get oak/mahogany faced furniture grade ply for about 300/sheet. By the time you add hinges, frames, handles, paint/finish, brushes, extra for some kind of delivery, hassle, you can see how it might be cheaper/better to buy a door.

Thanks. Where can i buy the 144/280 sheet of ply? That should do the trick. Doesnt have to be 3cm. The way i'm going to do this is simply prop the board up in front of the door and then slide it away behind my wardrobe when im not using it. The door's not flush with the wall so there'd be a big gap between it and the board. I know it wont stop the sound completely but i think it would reduce it a lot.

If you know the YunFang decoration market, immediatley south of Carrefour on South Inner Ring Road (HuangchengNanlu), you will find the board and you will also find sheets of foam. Some of these are egg box shaped foams. These may also help to plug the doorway.

If you are not cutting the board, and using foam, you can use the cheap board as voids in the board will not matter much.

lemon lover (1006 posts) • 0

One easy way of soundproofing metal doors is by putting a curtain in front of it.
Hanging a quilt in front of it works as well.

So i decided im going to buy a big sheet of plywood and then glue sheets of foam to one side to make it soundproof and then i can plug into the doorway.

Problem here is there's a school at the end of my corridor so it can get noisy.

I've found the carrefour on the map so i'll go and check it out tomorrow. Is the market in the same building as carrefour. Easy to find?

Also do you know how i can transport the stuff back to my place? Not sure if it will fit in a taxi..

Related forum threads

Login to post