Keats School

GoKunming Forums

Must register new passport within 10 days

gbtexdoc (218 posts) • 0

Yes. Blobbles explained it well.

Early on I didn't know to do that. Went to HK for a new 90-day visa stamp. When I returned to Kunming, took a copy of it to the 派出所 and they explained the process.

When I crossed the border, exiting mainland China, they thought I had gone back to the US for good. Had to re-register me and weren't happy about it.

JCMKM (14 posts) • 0

To clarify -
If you enter/exit on the SAME passport (i.e.same passport number) then you do not need to go to the entry-exit bureau to register/
If during the period of validity of your visa you have ave acquired a NEW passport (different passport number) it is not enough just to go to your local police station 派出所. You need to register your new passport and passport number at the Entry-Exit Bureau on Tuodong Lu.

FYI - 派出所police-station computers are not linked to the servers of the entry-exit bureau or even the head police station of your local area, so if you register your new passport at your local police station (like I did), that will mean you are still is in breach of the Chinese law and you will still be fined.

HFCAMPO (3062 posts) • 0

So where you fined for this offense? How much were you fined? Are there other penalties for this?

JCMKM (14 posts) • 0

Up to the discretion of the police officer interviewing you. If its a first offence the fine is more likely to be around 500. But again, it is discretionary.

HFCAMPO (3062 posts) • 0

Went to the dreaded Visa office today to renew my visa. Some changes are as follows:

Now you must have your picture taken on the first floor right outside the visa office - 30 RMB.

Before, the foreigner had to attach a letter in English requesting a new visa to live with Chinese spouse. Now this letter must be written in Chinese by the Chinese spouse, no longer by the foreigner husband.

Now the waiting period for a new visa is 15 working days.

I too was told that I had to register my new passport. However, the visa office has nothing to do with it. The PSB near my home will contact me. I will post something here once I get the results of the FINE.

I will also post a copy of the regulation that deals with this issue.

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • 0

Right. I just did the same thing about 2 weeks ago. Another change is that you get a 2 year visa if you are married to a Chinese national. However you need to get a physical at the Yunnan International Travel Healthcare Center. It cost me 442 yuan. Make sure you bring the booklet they give you and make copies of it.

tallamerican (396 posts) • 0

I was also told if your spouse is Chinese and you are over 60 with the same physical you can get a 3 year resident permit for the same cost as a 2 year.

Login to post