GoKunming Forums

violence at train station

Mandrake (129 posts) • 0

I just read about this now. It is rather shocking for China, back home in South Africa, this kind of violence is kind of par for the course, which unfortunately makes one desensitized to things like this. However when it happens in China it is pretty shocking. I have always commented how 'safe' China is.

Texas Boy (117 posts) • 0

Guns! If a few upstanding citizens were carrying guns - they could have stopped the whole thing.!!!!!!

Chinizzle (33 posts) • 0

A few upstanding citizens were carrying guns. They're called police. Right now I'm shocked, and I guess we will have to wait for more info as to why...

blobbles (958 posts) • 0

Texas Boy - has that ever worked in America? Have any mass killings been stopped by people armed with guns?

And I could imagine the news would read "22 killed by terrorists, 145 killed in the crossfire by people trying to shoot the 10 in a crowd of people" if you got what you wanted. Did you see the ABC experiment with relatively untrained people given guns and what happens in a violent situation? Can you imagine all the untrained people in China having guns?

It would also mean that the attackers would have had better access to semi automatic rifles probably with dozens of rounds per magazine, instead of knives. And with 10 attackers... we could pretty much directly compare this one to Mumbai which had 12 attackers armed to the teeth. 164 dead at that one and the assailants were better armed than the police and managed to hole themselves up for 3 days.

I know what I would prefer given 22 dead vs 164 or the gun violence rates of America transferred to China.

Mandrake (129 posts) • 0

@ Texas Boy well if guns were allowed in China, this might have been a gun attack instead of a knife attack, and maybe a lot more people would have been injured or killed. However, they might have been stopped quicker. Bit of a catch 22 really.

Coming from a society where guns are allowed, the problem of illegal guns being used in violent crime arises. This happens in South Africa, as well as the US, as I am sure you know.

bluesinkunming (9 posts) • 0

Yes silvio, please give reference. too crazed, random and wide things to put up here without stating a news source, blog to see, who what where etc etc. please and thanks!

Related forum threads

Login to post

This thread is locked.