GoKunming Forums

Seeking chilli mix

tenoleno (4 posts) • 0

Hi there,

I'm an New Zealander who spent time in Yunnan a couple of years back.

I'm seeking some advice, I have been trying for months to locate a way to get a favourite seasoning from Kunming.

We bought several packets of this spice mix when in Yunnan but supplies are running low. (Used in all sorts of dishes, like baked fish and spicy potato pancakes)

I have details from the packet but couldn't locate distributors or websites - there is a phone # but my mandarin is far from that good! and no website.

Packet reads: Kunming City Dan Shan Flavoring and Food Co. Ltd

Wondering if any of the good folk on here might be able to help find a way to order some, purchase via someone, etc.

Can provide more detail from the packet if anyone is keen to help.

Many thanks
Eliot

Anonymous Coward (329 posts) • 0

As far as I know Chilli mix is just a combination of red pepper powder, cumin and salt. Probably worth looking into as it should be cheaper and easier to source the ingredients.

tenoleno (4 posts) • 0

Yes I have given it a go with those ingredients but can't seem to get the balance right. It's quite yellow in colour, and has an almost citrus character (from at least Sichuan peppercorns but I think something else)

If anyone is familiar with making it up themselves I'd be pleased to hear from you!

Geezer (1953 posts) • 0

@tenoleno: Are you asking about TexMex (Old El Paso or Ortega) chili mix? Or, are you asking about a Chinese mix for Chinese consumption?

Nansen (20 posts) • 0

Have you tried adding Sichuan salt? Your problem with making it yourself may be that different chilis produce different flavour. In Guangxi I found the chilis were almost 'flowery' in taste...Maybe the chilis in your powder had a citrus tang

Geezer (1953 posts) • 0

I agree with Nansen. As a long time lover of hot and spicy foods I enjoyed living in Thailand for a time. I make TexMex chili often and enjoy adding fire to the packaged mix. But for super hot wings I use a combination of Chinese chilies. I get good results from prepared yellow chilies. Hard to find in the markets in Kunming but abound in Jinghong.

The jars of prepared yellow chilies are 'wet.' I have been looking for dried, powered yellow chili with out much success.

@tenoleno: PM me and if I can get a photo of the package, I will try to track it down for you. With so much red tape, regulations and restrictions on food trade, it might be hard to get exporters/importers interested in small or one off shipments.

yankee00 (1632 posts) • 0

Sounds like the one in a yellow and red package with a fish draw at the front and the picture of a handsome stud at the bottom. They have a website and email address at the back that says kmdstw.com and kmdstw@126.com

Geezer (1953 posts) • 0

@yankee00: Looks like the right website and company. Maybe @tenoleno can tell us which package. Some how food doesn't translate well.

tenoleno (4 posts) • 0

(tried posting before with a url link but it didn't seem to work)

that's indeed the one - that stud and fish! my package predates url / web info

I may send them an email, but it sounds like (language aside) dealing with the company might not get me far!

Geezer (1953 posts) • 0

@tenoleno: God luck with the email. Chnese either don't check email often or don't want to bother with English emails.

The site has 41 products. Which one package are you looking for? I'd like to try the yellow colored one. I could mail you a few packages if you like.

Related forum threads

Login to post