GoKunming Forums

Foreigner waiter's salary?

daifuran (4 posts) • 0

I'd like an advice on what amount I could ask per hour, working as a foreigner waiter.
My employer is foreigner as well. He could give me 6-7 hours a day, 2-3 times a week. But couldn't tell me a price, neitheir did I.

Thanks!

blue. (170 posts) • 0

400-500 rmb per day; more if you're super professional or the place is high level

Karina17 (70 posts) • 0

There are no tips in China as well as in most Asian countries. Even if you might get some sometimes it won't make your salary bigger.
A chinese waiter will earn about 10 RMB/hour.
I am wondering as well why you should get more only because you are a foreigner...

mmkunmingteacher (561 posts) • 0

100 RMB/day if you are really lucky, and no tips. But you might attract customers and boost business, because I am pretty sure you would be the only foreign waiter in Kunming.

bucko (695 posts) • 0

@Karina17
I was joking about the tip!

If I was going to hire a foreigner as a waiter, he would be on the same pay scale as my other staff. However, I would add a commision to him for "upselling" to the customers. i.e extra menu items and drinks. But this would also apply to the other waiters. This insures the customer gets good service throughout his meal AFTER they get served.

blue. (170 posts) • 0

@Alien: I guess the question foreigner/chinese was implicit in the question. So, why the owner need a foreigner and not a chinese? I guess for some extra skill or laowai face.
Yours is rhetoric. I wonder how many of laowais in Kmg are ok with a "chinese" salary.

blue. (170 posts) • 0

@ Daifuran I'd say that the post is too generic. If you mean what's the average salary for a laowai waitress...you should also specify if in a hotel/restaurant/pub. In this case the other posts are not answering to your question cause they say there's no difference between laowai or chinese staff. Then in my opinion you should value more things: how you need this job, if you're learning/teaching something in the career of f&b; if you need a sustainable life or not...and many other things, like working permit and visa..
Previous posts maybe also not consider that chinese don't need to fly abroad to say hello to their family sometimes, or doing visa run.

Related forum threads

Login to post