GoKunming Forums

moving to kunming

lotsachoices (2 posts) • 0

Wow, thanks everyone! Lots of good info there.

So we have a choice whether we stay in Australia and have the baby here, and come over a few months after, or take the leap now. Lots to think about. Thanks again. :)

bluegrass14 (126 posts) • 0

We had a home birth in Kunming 15 months ago and LOVED giving birth that way. We checked out a number of hospitals and felt that our home was the most peaceful and safest place to have our daughter (plus there's a midwife from the US who lives near Kunming). When we did our home birth, a few days later we were able to get a Chinese birth certificate, which helped in getting the US birth certificate (not sure how it works with an Australian one), but that recently changed to where you need a certified doctor at the delivery to receive a birth certificate if doing a home birth...just a few thoughts to add to what others have shared. PM if you want more info or have any questions

bluegrass14 (126 posts) • 0

Also, if cost isn't a factor as much as comfort, Angel women and children's hospital is beautiful and they even do water births there (unheard of at most hospitals here) if you're interested in that option.

YuantongsiYuantongsi (717 posts) • 0

Lack of spoken English in hospitals is something to consider.

Also if you are in any high risk group then I also would suggest not to move to give birth in China.

CaeruleusCaeruleus (51 posts) • 0

If you have the choice, don't deliver here. Medical treatment here is pretty basic and doctors seem to have little to no idea what they are talking about (even basic stuff). So aside from a factory style hospital environment that would get the job done if nothing goes wrong, you are kinda stuck if something does go wrong and you / baby need serious medical attention.

Would thoroughly recommend staying in Australia or zipping down to Thailand for a couple of months and giving birth there instead. I've seen so many misdiagnosis here that have later caused bigger issues it is ridiculous.

CaeruleusCaeruleus (51 posts) • 0

@Alien: Fair call. I wouldn't take the risk with my own child, but accept that the city has obviously successfully delivered millions of babies over the years and that most have no problem.

Just feel that if you have the choice of where to give birth, choose the place with the best possible medical care. Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.

Related forum threads

Login to post