GoKunming Forums

shipping a guitar from the US to china

EricG (2 posts) • 0

Anybody have any experience shipping a guitar from the US to china?
like info on how much did shipping cost, customs declarations (if declared), did it arrive in one piece, and so on would be much appreciated! Shanks!

jopasny (184 posts) • 0

I wouldn't (didn't) do it. Shipping is quite expensive and you'll want to make sure it's packed well/insured. I chose to sell my Martin and my Taylor before leaving, and left my handbuilt classical with someone who can take proper care of it and keep it humidified. While it's hard to find good imported instruments to replace them while I'm here, there are a few Chinese brands with reputable higher end lines that will hold up well against lower end Martins/Taylors. I spent about 2000 kuai and got something that's on par with a Taylor 314.

That's what I did, but I like buying and selling gear though, so I try not to be attached to my guitars. If you have some special attachment to your guitar then maybe it's worth it to ship, just make sure you put it in a flight case and have everything in order in case it goes missing/gets damage.

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • 0

If you are going to stay here for a long time, you might miss your guitar and want to have it shipped here. However, I would do what @jopasny did. Not all Chinese guitars are 'crap'. You can find good ones.

jopasny (184 posts) • 0

I was actually pretty surprised by the one I got in terms of tone and fit and finish - knock on, well, wood. As with a lot of things, you pretty much get what you pay for. Some research definitely helps, but if you're planning on staying for a longer period or indefinitely, shipping isn't the worst idea. Also, I've found you can buy import guitars on Taobao as well, but they cost a little more than back home, and for an already high end guitar that can add up.

Related forum threads

Login to post