GoKunming Forums

Why are you in Kunming/Yunnan?

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

redjon77: Exactly. But why learn Chinese? There are plenty of places on the planet where it is not spoken.

redjon77 (510 posts) • 0

@Alien

Well had a pretty good reason to learn the language as gf from Kunming and although she speaks English her family don't, so gave me a reason to want to know the language and spend some time here enjoying the culture/area to :o)

Dazzer (2813 posts) • 0

if the tunafish is tired of stupid postins then he should stay off forums. a bit like standing in the snow and complaining your feet is cold

jopasny (184 posts) • 0

@Karina/Yankee - that's true... it was pretty cold the first night or two without built in heating when I got here. At the same time, getting some slippers, sweatpants and a space heater seemed to solve the problem. I was warned about this by my gf before getting here, but honestly it's worth it. Compared to the polar vortex of shit North America's experienced this winter, I haven't minded a bit. I know it was also a bit colder earlier in January though, but it's a small sacrifice, imo.

Overall I'll accept being a bit colder at home for a few weeks if it means paying no rent.

Jasmine JJJasmine JJ (10 posts) • 0

Hi Guys! im flying back to kunming in 3rd week of feb, would really appreciate if any of you could email me at jazzyjfizzle@gmail.com and guide me a little. i was born in kunming but have been living in tropical singapore all my life.. just need a get-back-to-my-roots trip and make some english speaking friends while at it. i smoke, light drinking, need advice on good pubs with good music/ cheap smokes ect. my aunt teaches music in one of the schools so i'll be doing a fair bit of visiting for the first couple days. feel free to shower me with your advices and even questions =)
namaste

cuihulongjing (46 posts) • 0

Love the cheap smokes... formaldehyde beer, 地沟油, food poisoning, rude people, totally non-transparent and ever-changing laws/rules. It creates an atmosphere of paranoia mixed nausea!

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

I strongly suspect that when people use either of the words 'civilization' or 'culture' or both, they are often referring to very different things, & therefore are talking past each other - might be a good idea to try to be more specific.

redjon77 (510 posts) • 0

Culture - The way people go about daily lives and a bit of how they went about it in the past mixed in. Leads to a different way of doing things for me after a while.
Think I'd use 'civilization' differently for sure!

Related forum threads

Login to post