GoKunming Forums

Electric scooter..advice needed

Nansen (20 posts) • 0

So, after walking mile upon mile and enduring sardine-style bus journeys over the last 6 months, I've decided my legs and sanity deserve a break. I'm getting an electric scooter..but I just want to make sure i do this as legally, but more important, as cheaply as possible.

I'm going to buy an ugly, partially knocked about scooter so as to put thieves off. Voltage not as issue but the more the better, and will obv test drive before hand.

My questions are this: how much should I pay- I've seen some for 800-1000Y along 学府路

Secondly, what's all this numberplate malarky about?! What paperwork do I need to carry?! Is there any legally I can buy and drive a second hand scooter?!

Thanks, nath

Nansen (20 posts) • 0

The places I need to get to are very far from my university, and I need to leave very early. The advantages of a 电动车 to me are also obvious...

lemon lover (1006 posts) • 0

Long distances! The more reason to peddle yourself. Any cheap secondhand bike will come with worn-out batteries. That is why they sell them. A new set will cost you anywhere between 300 a 1000 kuai.

Leaving very early!
In the morning when the batteries are cold they perform suboptimal.

debaser (647 posts) • 0

budget up to Y1000 extra for new batteries whatever the shop say. check the distance that the bike can cover and notice that there are a few battery ratings (6/12/24AH) - don't just go by the voltage. not sure of the situation with the license plates now but avoid anything unregistered (just to be safe) and be very careful in checking the registration and documents if the bike is 72V or above. i hear that it would be almost impossible to register a second hand bike, especially a bigger one, but i've never tried.

mmkunmingteacher (561 posts) • 0

You would do well to just buy a new scooter. At best, they are just pieces of plastic slapped around an electric motor. Every day that someone else rides it, is one day closer to its inevitable death. You can get a really good one for 2000-3000.

laotou (1714 posts) • 0

@nansen
We are also considering an e-bike. As @debaser notes - used bikes require NEW batteries - you're looking at roughly CNY 1k for new batteries - especially for the bigger bikes. We'd looked at used bikes (including from exiting expats) but if you don't want your e-bike to become a PUSH bike - best to go new or near new if possible. This avoids the fake registration issues (slapping fake or swapped out plates for stolen e-bikes) and just a WHOLE lotta other headaches.

Check taobao for make, model, and prices (including batteries), print out what you want - then go haggle with the local shop (e-mail e-bikes carry horrific shipping costs), so if they'll match the advertised price - you're good to go!

Good luck - and don't forget - thieves abound (and bring a really long extension cord, in case you run out of juice). And don't worry about making it look banged up - that'll happen soon enough!

OceanOcean (1193 posts) • 0

I'd like to bump this thread for general advice on using an e-bike. I've just bought a new one, mostly for short distances, and mostly kept in guarded bike parks. The bike has a built in lock and alarm and came with a sturdy looking U-shape lock. Are these likely to be enough to deter theives or should I buy something more? Is it worth "distressing" the new bike somehow to make it look less stealable? Also, is it worth getting a helmet - most riders don't seem to. Can you buy small ones for toddlers to wear? And my final question is do people generally carry originals of the registration documents with them, or photocopies or neither (ie do foreigners get hassled much by the traffic police)? Many thanks for any advice.

yankee00 (1632 posts) • 0

Yes to everything except documents originals and getting hassled.

Related forum threads

Login to post