GoKunming Forums

Burger King

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

@moonpie, the arguments about charred meat being possibly carcinogenic surfaced in the late 70s. The linked article above does go on to mention that researchers paid more attention to processed meat products, with all of the chemicals they contain..

Personally, I would worry more about breathing city air, bonfire smoke, or the passive smoking inherent to life in China.

There is research that shows that stress is linked to cancer, this is a generally held the case by the medical profession. Life in the big C is stressful (pun intended). Life in the big C will probably cause death before BK does.

The Dudeson's (1106 posts) • 0

i agree ...you are supposed to get cancer in every corner.
humping...hpv
bbq...carcinogens
drinking too much or too little tea or coffee...pesticides and or anticarcinogenic
sh**ing...chemicals in the paper.
not smelling....nanoparticles in deo
breathing (in china)...pollution.

but here comes the dudesons special newsupdate! SPOILER ALERT

......we are all going to die....sorry to break the bad news. but research showed it's the truth.

my advise, live like it's your last, don't overendulge indulge in anything and you have a good chance to dodge the 'latin shelfish' bit even then you might be put down by a stroke or heartattack. so eat smart and live smart.

Magnifico (1981 posts) • 0

Too bad it's not at the airport. Whenever I was at Beijing airport, I always headed for Burger King. So many of the other restaurants at the airport are ridiculously overpriced and after a long flight, you don't feel like experimenting.

Otherwise, KFC, McD, BK are all the same to me. I go when 1) I have no time to cook and/or 2) I don't feel like eating Chinese and/or 3) I'm stranded somewhere. But I don't normally go out of my way to dine in these places. There are better options for western food or non-chinese food (ie Saramati Indian restaurant....butter chicken, samosas, and garlic naan bread here I come ... SOON)

Dudeson's, we're all going to die. True. But some people suffer much more than others. There's a big difference between dying a natural death and going through a long battle with cancer and all the chemotherapy and suffering that entails.

I think there's enough evidence to support that fast food is not that good for you. Why are people constantly debating this? Maybe limiting it to once a week at most might not be a bad idea.

Shyam (244 posts) • 0

I must say that one thing that really disgusts me about these forums are the trolls who love to show up in a forum intended to positively discuss a subject...then, use it to tout their own negative views. I come to this forum because of my interest in this food product and my desire to find some in Kunming. If that isn't your interest, or if you want to scream from a soapbox about the negative effects of grilled meat...START YOUR OWN DAMNED THREAD!

At least, have the respect to not crash someone else's party...and the integrity to put in the hard work to develop your own following. Don't be a parasite. It take no talent, or honor to throw bombs, or hijack a thread created by others.

Having said that...I will plan on being first in line, when the new BK opens. :)

laotou (1714 posts) • 0

@Ocean
Thanks for the post - BK - the debatably creme de la creme of fast food joints - the cordon bleu of guck. Hopefully - the product will match the pics - Has ANYONE ever see a quarter pounder at a Chinese Macdonalds?

I'll do some personal recon after CNY (Chinese New Years)! Sad, when the highlight of the new year is scratching for some BK...c'est la vie. I need a new hobby.

As for carcinogens - living in China is carcinogenic. Bring on the BBQ!

BTW (By The Way) usually those experiments involve loading up lab rats with roughly 10% of their body weight per day (or more) to induce cancers. I'm 80+kg. If I ate 8 kg of ANYTHING per day for months on end - I'd WANT to get cancer (or anything) and die..take those alleged lab tests and results with a grain of salt and a teaspoon of common sense.

Otherwise - BK would be mandated by US law, to include cancer warnings on their flame/charbroiled sandwich wrappers) a la the tobacco companies (and soon to be soda companies for drink sizes over 32oz?).

@shyam
I thought this was @ocean's thread?

Magnifico (1981 posts) • 0

@shyam wrote: "I must say that one thing that really disgusts me about these forums are the trolls who love to show up in a forum intended to positively discuss a subject...then, use it to tout their own negative views."

1 - if someone's opinion doesn't interest you, you can choose to ignore it.

2 - and it's your point of view that BK burgers possibly being linked to cancer is a "negative view". the person who posted that would probably consider it to be "factual information", not "a negative view".
3 - even roses have thorns.

@laotou wrote: "Otherwise - BK would be mandated by US law, to include cancer warnings a la the tobacco companies"

The warnings on cigarettes were not always there, so that argument is null and void. But thank you for playing.

Geezer (1953 posts) • 0

Magni,

It could be that Shyam considers Dudeson's observation that we will all die to be negative.

OMG! The horrors! ALL people will die! Everyone alive today will die! The babies born today will die!

Is that all we have to live for?

tallamerican (396 posts) • 0

All this over a Burger King? Had a Whopper with cheese, Fries, and coke last summer at home and was almost as expensive as Bacon Cheeseburger at OReilly's and not nearly as good.

The Dudeson's (1106 posts) • 0

@Shayam
I hope not as disgusting as Burger King.
It's a forum headlines Burger King.
a place that is famous for offering "JUNK" Food and making sure that you won't get one bite of real food or say healthy food.

The food is very controversial and if you are not able to handle another opinion than yours I think we should be (maybe not disgusted) but frustrated because so far we got directions, a health warning with links, opinions about the taste. And thus helpful information and the only one not helpful, is yours ...in fact!
But to please you, what else you want to talk about concerning BK, that wouldn't disgust you? maybe the GPS coordinates?

Just messing with you, it;s just a thread about BK.

@ Geezer
LOL

Tonyaod (824 posts) • 0

Wow! OMFG!!! What a revelation!

"if someone's opinion doesn't interest you, you can choose to ignore it."

Imagine that, if only I had that advice months ago, although I do enjoy a side of irony to go with my flame broiled burger now and again.

To placate GoK censors by keeping this post relevant, I too will be in line, right behind Shayam, when it opens. I only wish In-n-Out would come out this way as well. That and Tommy's too.

Thanks for the info Ocean, good thread!

Related forum threads

Login to post