GoKunming Forums

need a locksmith asap

jojio (54 posts) • 0

Anyone out there have the number of a reasonably priced locksmith in the downtown area?

any advice welcomed.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

Most locksmiths here cannot pick locks. They just drill them out and fit a new one.
Your building management may be in a better position to advise or even do it for you.

Shyam (244 posts) • 0

I've had keys made at two shops, but I can't recall exactly where they were. (I just came along them, while walking through Kunming.) They seem to be everywhere.

I must say that most of these Chinese keys are pretty scary...from the point of view of an intruder. When I was younger, I used to cut keys at a hotel I worked for. With almost all American keys, you need only one tool and you only need to cut one side of the blank. With some of these Chinese keys, you need at least two tools and you need to cut up to four sides of the blank.

For this reason, I bought spares to leave with a friend and/or hide in a secure, retrievable place. (I'm no longer paranoid about locking myself out.)

jojio (54 posts) • 0

thanks guys, but i should have been clearer. i need a locksmith to install a new lock (which i have) in my door, as our security has been already compromised. any info regarding locksmiths in the downtown area appreciated. building mgmt is not an option as they are unhelpful to say the least.

You will probably find it easier to buy a complete door handle and lock combined. This should cost about 170 rmb upwards. If you can leave someone at home, then it is easier if you remove the old lock completely, and take that with you.

There are hardware suppliers that specializes in door locks. There are a lot in DaShangHui decoration market, and also some at YunFang (next to Carrefour on HuanChengNan Lu). You might also try your local hardware store.

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

I think you should be able to find one in the neighborhood of your housing complex, if you live in one - you might try just walking around the area for half an hour & look for guys who make keys, etc..

yankee00 (1632 posts) • 0

I would rather find someone who isn't near my place. You never know.

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

A good burglar logic would be to burgle places NOT in one's neighborhood - the local locksmith who had installed your lock would be the first person the cops would go to.

YuantongsiYuantongsi (717 posts) • 0

The local locksmiths should be all registered with the local Cop shop,,but you never know.

If you get a new lock make sure you get ALL the keys.

If you can find a compatible lock, you will be able to fit it yourself with just a screwdriver. Nobody will need to know your address.
If you home has been entered without your consent, and the door, lock were not forced and no window entry, it may well have been your landlord.

Related forum threads

Login to post