GoKunming Forums

Is Nutmeg Common Here?

Shyam (244 posts) • 0

Hey Folks,

Can anyone tell me if nutmeg is a spice common to Kunming? If so, is it the same variety get back home?

Shyam

Silvio DaVinci (282 posts) • 0

Nutmeg is not common here.
I checked a number of farmer markets, supermarkets and spice shops.

The only thing I found with some nutmeg in it was a little 5-spices bag at a convenience store.

Cinnamon, which is nearly identical in flavor is what you can find here easily. If you really need it I'd recommend getting it online :)

baiyuxiang (111 posts) • 0

It can be bought, however, online as noted above. I got a 430g container on Taobao. If you find the right imported food stores you 'might' find some available on the shelf as well. But no, not commonly used in Chinese food.

Charlie-KM (4 posts) • 0

As of late November, Metro was carrying bulk bags of whole nutmeg. Though it's probably more nutmeg than you'll use in a lifetime.

Double check Paul's, too. I could almost swear they have nutmeg there as well.

Shyam (244 posts) • 0

Thanks folks!

All of this confirms what I found. This past month, I focused on finding cinnamon...which I finally got ahold of. You're right, Silvio...it comes close. Still, I'm trying to find that "missing element" for French toast, eggnog, spiced cider, etc..

Ahhh...if only I had access to a centrifuge that could separate out 4 of the spices in 5 Spice. :)

Thanks again, friends.

tabilia (10 posts) • 0

i totally agree to Charlie-KM. Metro has nutmeg and i got 4 pieces in Pauls, this year. I would give you some, but i´m not in Kunming until next year. I´m pretty sure you´ll find it soon or later!!!

DanTheMan (620 posts) • 0

Taobao is so much ridiculously more awesome than spending a day running around battling Kunming traffic in a vain search for a product that may or may be in stock.

Ordering takes about 15 seconds if you've got everything set up right, so it wouldn't be a huge imposition on a Chinese friend to help you purchase.

Shyam (244 posts) • 0

Thanks Dan. But, how difficult is it for an English speaker to use Taobao...even with English translation? I can't read much Chinese. How critical is this?

Related forum threads

Login to post