GoKunming Forums

What has happened to Kunming Police?

tallamerican (396 posts) • 0

Live in the north and ride my bike almost everyday. Last year in my hour long rides i use to see police everywhere. Frequently saw police giving tickets for illegally parked cars. I did not ride for a couple of months this fall while we were moving a little further north and just started riding 2 weeks ago. For example today i rode for 11/2 hours and saw 2 policeman. Did not see one squad car. Last year i could ride for a hour and rarely be concerned about getting hit and this past 2 weeks i have been almost hit several times every day. My wife does not want me ride anymore because she says it is no longer safe to ride bike in kunming. Also noticed the policeman that use to sit on 2nd ring road ramps to keep scooters and motorcycles off the elevated sections are no longer there. As a result have seen several illegal vehicles on 2nd ring road during rush hour.

yankee00 (1632 posts) • 0

Efficient management of resources? A few days ago in the afternoon, I saw two policemen and three traffic guards (two controlling the bike/scooter lane) all directing traffic at the same time at the Lonquan/Baiyun Lu crossroad. Then no guards up to Linyu Lu.

Ouyang (243 posts) • 0

Most have been replaced by "xie guan" or something like that. Essentially low paid labor. Most of them wear a very similar uniform to police, but they aren't. I only see the actual traffic police maybe once a month. If there is a traffic accident expect to wait for the real police to show up by motorbike...you may have to wait a while too, especially if it's not major.

There was an accident in the afternoon about 1 o'clock, and the police didn't show up until about 3:30... you know, nap time or something.

Related forum threads

Login to post