GoKunming Forums

New Scam in Some Taxis

English Tutour (123 posts) • 0

Ocean, I didn't find any information about the device that raises the meter price, so that's why I posted this thread.

It wasn't intended to be a thread to complain about the drivers 'ad nauseum'.

One reason for your bewilderment is that 'attitude is everything'. When you get in a taxi and expect to be cheated or find a rude driver, you will look hard enough and find it. If you on the other hand expect to have a good ride, magically you will find that too!

Taxi drivers the world over are low paid workers with much about their job to dislike. It's still a living for their families. Better than living on the streets.

seaforte03 (16 posts) • 0

@English Tutour
The device you discussed isn't new - it's been around since at least 2005 - in Beijing. It's an electrically activated button on or around the steering column - with the typical crappy chinese construction, connected to the meter. Makes the meter start churning like a slot machine.

UNSOLICITED ADVICE FOR THOSE FEELING CHEATED WITH CHINESE LANGUAGE SKILLS
If you know the fare and your driver has somehow managed to double your fare - call the complaint hotline - surf thru menu hell. USUALLY, the taxi firm will force the driver to refund the entire fare.

If you see evidence of fraud (like the "secret" button) - you can mention that to the taxi company also - it's illegal - just beware that taxi drivers are essentially a giant family - they WILL behave like gangsters if you confront them - bearing in mind taxi drivers are NOT a well educated strata of society.

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

Dudeson, there are ways to disagree with Chinese people without insulting or being insulted etc. If you want proof of this, ask some of your foreign friends if they can do it - surely some will say they can. And after 10 years, you can't.

Now what does this indicate?

English Tutour (123 posts) • 0

I haven't been grossly cheated and I take taxis a fair bit. Ill look for the secret button. The taxi business in China is operated by a sort of mafia.

The Dudeson's (1106 posts) • 0

@Alien
... .Now what does this indicate?

That a lot of chinese act like babies?

I didn't say i can't. I just don't like doing it anymore besides a few 'have to' moments. I think we are all over the age of pleasing others by pretending. My friends appreciate my honesty, If i upset a cab driver or other people that greet me with disrespect even according to the local standards...so what do I care?

Little anecdote just coincidentally happened a few nights back . A quite (seemingly) nice cabby asked me if I like chinese food. I said yes. He, stupid as he is, asked me if it's the best food. I said no..the best food IMO is Japanese food. He freaked out being very insulting. So what should i have answered to a person that i don't know, and fortunately never see again, to save him from being insulted?

...acting and lie my a** off.

I don't need this, for all of you are still in for being "chinese of the year"...knock yourself out.

Magnifico (1981 posts) • 0

haha, you told the cabbie that japanese food was the best? you should have waited until he dropped you off at your destination! don't insult the ferryman until he gets you to the other side.

HFCAMPO (3062 posts) • 0

As I mentioned earlier, this taxi problem is more imagined then real or the passenger does not have a clue where he is or where he is going. When I am going somewhere I don't know, I let the taxi driver take me and I keep my mouth shut. I watch, learn and remember. When I know where I am going, and the driver is literally taking me for a ride, I immediately tell him which direction to go or tell him to stop and get out. I am sure other reasonable members on this forum will agree with me, that they will never voluntarily sit in a taxi and allow a driver to do as he pleases for 30 minutes. Or make stops along the way that are not as I command. I have told drivers many times, they must go where I tell them unless I tell them to do something illegal because I am the one paying the fare.

Magnifico (1981 posts) • 0

Yeah but if you need to watch the driver and tell him where to go, there's a problem. Ideally, you should be able to hand over the destination address to the driver and take a nap. And it would be nice if they got GPS systems in their cars.

Related forum threads

Login to post