GoKunming Forums

New Scam in Some Taxis

blueice (73 posts) • 0

It's probably the same everywhere (KM, BJ, etc.), if you know where you're going and what the fare should be then you will most likely not have any problems.

KM has been through a lot of changes in the past 10 years. Certain things that were unheard of then (or even 5 years ago) are starting to crop up more now.

There are actually a few really good black taxi drivers I know and use, it helps if they come out regularly near a residential district (they usually live close by).

English Tutour (123 posts) • 0

I'm really sorry I started this thread. In my opinion, the majority of the Kunming taxi drivers are excellent!!!!!!!!!

It was not meant to be for all these complaints! I tried to explain that, but to no avail.

laotou (1714 posts) • 0

@English Tutour (seriously? tutour?)..
We've obviously had vastly and diversely opposite experiences. I literally loathe and detest Kunming taxis. The good drivers I've had - a distinct minority. You must've gotten all the good ones! Or maybe I just live in a crappy area.

Laotou, yes we have had differing experiences. Yes some drivers are impatient, aggressive or rude, and some don't know the proper routes, but it only proves that there are rotten apples in every barrel, you need to search out the good ones!

But the point I am trying (unsuccessfully obviously) to make is that I ONLY wanted to know if any person had seen or heard of this device that makes the taxi meter run faster.

That was all!

yankee00 (1632 posts) • 0

They've been using that device in Beijing for some time. There's a similar one that apparently also increases the digits on electronic scales used in markets, couriers etc.

When taking taxis, I find Google Maps very useful, especially when the driver doesn't know the way. It also gives you the distance of the journey, so you can calculate approximately how much it would cost you to arrive at your destination. I make sure to tell him/her which road I prefer to take beforehand. In bigger cities like Guangzhou, it even gives you indications about the traffic condition along your route.

Jrez24 (8 posts) • 0

For those savvy with Chinese, Baidu Maps (百度地图) is also excellent. Gives you estimated fare - distance - route. Its fast and has traffic conditions for Kunming.

HFCAMPO (3062 posts) • 0

English Tutor - to answer your question. I always sit in the front seat of the taxi and I watch the meter and I have never seen anything fishy or any electronic devices that may affect the meter.

?The taxi driver does NOT know the way? - My goodness, I have never had this experience in the last 10 years. Where in the world were you going? Perhaps the driver did not understand you or you dont have a clue how to explain where you want to go. I take taxis from one district all the way to another district and the drivers know exactly where to go. I would love to hear an example of a taxi driver who did not know where to go. Begin by stating the point of origin and the destination. I learned my first week in China to never show a taxi driver a map, that is begging for trouble. I know some foreigners who have been in China for 6 months who speak better Mandarin then I do. Could it be that the Laws of Probabilty are all in my favor so I have never encountered a driver who does not know his way. I had drivers from Sichuan who have been driving in Kunming for less than a year who know their way around Kunming. I have been to the most out of the way temples in all 5 districts and still have not encountered a driver who does not know his way.

Yes I always sit in the front too and watch the meter and know where I'm going and which is the shortest/best route to take.

But I too have never seen any devices. I am wondering what they do when they push one of the buttons on the meter sometimes. I can't figure it out but surmise that it's for late nights, highway driving or long distances.

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

My God do a lot of foreigners have problems! If things are really that bad for you folks, try walking!

yankee00 (1632 posts) • 0

Walking can bring even more problems with everyone spitting, pooping or peeing on the walkway!

Related forum threads

Login to post