GoKunming Forums

New Scam in Some Taxis

HFCAMPO (3062 posts) • 0

The 3 buttons they choose to press depends on traffic conditions. A meter has a selector to choose which meter reading best suits the driver. When there is a lot of traffic he will press the TIME button so the fare increases by time faster then DISTANCE. I had a great introduction to meters and how they work when I was writing to the Taxi office in Anning. I think the problem is more imagined then real because it is impossible for me to have never had a problem in 10 years. On the other hand when I go to Anning, I have problems with every taxi and driver without exception.

The Dudeson's (1106 posts) • 0

I have never seen any gadgets to increase the fare but logically thinking about it, it would be quite stupid putting this device in plain sight of the guest, wouldn't it?

Are there taxi drivers that don't know their way, or let's say at least pretend to not know their way around. I had a cab driver that didn't know guandu old town, metro, believe it or not 121 street electronics market, while of suspiciously calling an array of friends,probably relatives and even stopping to ask their way around why suspiciously coming back with cigarettes and a bottle of something that I don;t want to know its content. Of course all that while the meter is running.
Making me feel a little like being the candidate of who wants to be a millionaire.

Also once I had to go to wenlin jie Qingnian Lu Parkson, where the guy could have just gone straight and turn left at the zoo but in stead he turned right heading east (which still stuns me today) until we reached wal mart, passing a bunch of diao tou signs telling me that there is no other way to make a U-turn. Even though passing about 10 cars doing just so. And giving me a speech for the whole 30 minutes right, which is supposed to be less than 15, after I told him exactly how to go.

That alwasy pisses them off, I love it when chinese people get caught cheating, ripping off or just being dumb as pretzels. Always cracks me up somebody should write a book of the reasons they have for their stupidity. Love it!

About Taxi Drivers:
Knowing their way? Yeah some do.
Want to know their way? Occasionally!

@HFCAMPO

Isn't Anning part of Kunming (municipality)? So that makes them Kunming cab drivers as well.
It stunns me how much different 30 or 40 miles make in taxi driver mentality. As Kunming drivers are angels and Anning drivers sent be the devils.

A case for the Avengers??

I have never seen any gadgets to increase the fare but logically thinking about it, it would be quite stupid putting this device in plain sight of the guest, wouldn't it?

Are there taxi drivers that don't know their way, or let's say at least pretend to not know their way around. I had a cab driver that didn't know guandu old town, metro, believe it or not 121 street electronics market, while of suspiciously calling an array of friends,probably relatives and even stopping to ask their way around why suspiciously coming back with cigarettes and a bottle of something that I don;t want to know its content. Of course all that while the meter is running.
Making me feel a little like being the candidate of who wants to be a millionaire.

Also once I had to go to wenlin jie Qingnian Lu Parkson, where the guy could have just gone straight and turn left at the zoo but in stead he turned right heading east (which still stuns me today) until we reached wal mart, passing a bunch of diao tou signs telling me that there is no other way to make a U-turn. Even though passing about 10 cars doing just so. And giving me a speech for the whole 30 minutes right, which is supposed to be less than 15, after I told him exactly how to go.

That alwasy pisses them off, I love it when chinese people get caught cheating, ripping off or just being dumb as pretzels. Always cracks me up somebody should write a book of the reasons they have for their stupidity. Love it!

About Taxi Drivers:
Knowing their way? Yeah some do.
Want to know their way? Occasionally!

@HFCAMPO

Isn't Anning part of Kunming (municipality)? So that makes them Kunming cab drivers as well.
It stunns me how much different 30 or 40 miles make in taxi driver mentality. As Kunming drivers are angels and Anning drivers sent be the devils.

A case for the Avengers??

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

Dudeson, I don't know anything about your bad cab ride, or why it happened to you but not to most of us, but if the thought of it is driving you to go around insulting Chinese people in general in print I think you should leave China as soon as possible and take your attitude with you back to wherever it is you come from.

HFCAMPO (3062 posts) • 0

The taxis in all 5 districts of Kunming are managed by the Kunming taxi Bureau. The taxis in Anning are managed by the Anning Taxi Bureau. This is why the servicce is totally different.

seaforte03 (16 posts) • 0

@The Dudeson's
I have significantly more <expletives pre-censored> bad taxi experiences - not just 2. I'm usually grumpy and bad tempered in taxis and just grunt out instructions these days.

If I'm not happy, I have the wife call the taxi complaint hotline - usually it's either the fare was significantly over the norm - because of the "fantastical" course deviations or they dump me off at the wrong place despite explicit instructions (which they usually claim are incorrect because they're Kunming "ren" and know better...more expletives).

Similar to @alien's suggestion (but short of leaving China), I got a bike and now thumb my nose at taxis.

@seaforte
I feel your pain, I was just mentioning one direction related one.
I have plenty more. My favourite attitute is that when they get the wrong direction (on purpose or not) and they take you on a tour. But when you stop them they give you this litaney of reasons, of course it's all your fault, either way I am stupid because the place I chose is not good, or the side of the road I hauled that cab, the time of the day, weather (I kid you not) or I mentioned the wrong one of the two places that in reality only exists once (e.g. Guandu Old town) . It's awesome, and of course none of it is because the cabbie is not paying attention/i drunk/ on the phone not listening to a word I am saying/ getting out for directions/ calling his buddies, gf's, or mistresses forgetting that I speak Chinese. Oh and almost forgot...overcharging. Hardley ever getting the meter price, I think in my years in Kunming I got only twice the fare that was shown on the meter.

Of course not all of them are bad, and to give them some credit they will stop the meter when they are exposed as incompetent.
I think a realistic number of good or competent cabbies in Kunming is about 15%.

@Alien

The problem with this culture here is there is absolutely no way, not to disrespect or insulting a Chinese person, if you do not absolutely agree with him or her. For example not liking the food, culture, language, social or political system, history, personal hygiene, ..you name it.

You don't agree and you are greeted with disrespect and sometimes even agression.

In this culture there is no center or middle way.

And I don't care anymore, I did for a long time. I will never be Chinese (thank god) nor do I want to learn more than I already know of its culture. In my opinion it's one of the crulest and rudest on the entire planet, and people don't even care.

I just act, when I have to, as many of my Chinese friends,do.
It's all an act. Whenever they have to, they put on the traditional Chinese face and as soon as they can take it off, they go back to their little microcosmos.

I do the same but if people treat my like sh** I tell them what I think (politely). I am not Chinese but I read my fair share of the Chinese scholars and even then when somebody is (according to Confucius, something you should consider) I get greeted with more hostility, racial slurs, or cursed at and if I am lucky only angry silence.

So I don't need this, and especially your going home comment is the first on the top ten list. Yep all problems solved, send the uncomfortable ones home. That is exaclty the same mentality the Japanese and Nazi's had. "They disagree? let's get rid of them."

It's like cutting your testies of when you feel an itch. ...Problem solved.

P.S.

Some of the smartest people I know are Chinese and they are so smart that I rarely see them anymore because they left China. Because until now this is "no country for smart men". It's not a question of the brain but a problem of the society. I hope it's changing soon because this place has the potential to be the best place on the planet. Everybody is looking for the government to fix it, but it's impossible and they shouldn't.It's not their job.

In the end it's the uncomfortable people that make a difference, disregarding nationality. It always has been. And I am not going home becasue I have many Chinese friends and a nice little microcosmos to center my life around called....Family and friends !! No culture needed.

Related forum threads

Login to post