GoKunming Forums

Hainan visa.

darcus (4 posts) • 0

Just found out that it might be possible to get a 90 day visa on arrival when entering China from Hainan island.
Haven't done it myself, but thought maybe someone else has. I talked to a Chinese visa agent on Hainan that seemed to know what they were talking about.
Any ideas ?

kingofthekerb (131 posts) • 0

This visa special visa is only available for visitors from 27 countries that have 'diplomatic relations and official trade with China'. These include: Australia, New Zealand, Canada, the US, Germany, Britain, the Phillippines, Singapore, Malaysia, South Korea, Indonesia, Thailand, Japan, Russia, the Netherlands, Switzerland, Austria, Spain, France, Sweden and Italy.

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

darcus, I assume you meant 'getting the visa on arrival when entering Hainan Island', right? (as Hainan is part of the PRC) Or is Hainan special in some way (like Hong Kong, Macao, etc.)?

YuantongsiYuantongsi (717 posts) • 0

I have heard that tourists arriving in Hainan get special "on arrival visas", I think its mainly aimed to Russians on charter tours who land in Hainan as their first entry to China. From what I read it seems you should also stay only on Hainan on that visa, not sure how they enforce that.

darcus (4 posts) • 0

Yeah, wishful thinking on my behalf maybe.

The guy I spoke to was adamant that I could do it as an English citizen. He arranged visas for Chinese going overseas, so maybe not fully clued in on the Laowai situation.
But it does seem more likely that they are for special circumstances. Not sure why Hainan is special.
Where did you get your information from kingofthekerb ?
I'm going to renew my visa at the PSB tomorrow so will ask them about it and let you know.
Thanks for the replies, always helpful to get information.

Tom69 (151 posts) • 0

Chinese consulates and embassies show it on their websites, though I thought stays in Hainan were limited to either 15 or 21 days, not 90.

darcus (4 posts) • 0

I just asked the PSB here in Sanya and they told me only two weeks with a further two week extension.
Not three months.
It was a nice dream while it lasted.

Related forum threads

Login to post