GoKunming Forums

First Halloween in Kunming... What to do?

Magnifico (1981 posts) • 0

"What is the meaning of Halloween and how would it be relevant to people in Kunming?"

Halloween is the most FUN holiday for kids because they get to dress up in costumes. And they get candy! What kid doesn't like candy and costumes?

And kids, listen up. Halloween is not just about fun and games and dressing up and candy. Halloween is the one night during the year when the veil between this plane of existence and the unseen plane of existence is thinnest.

James2012 (10 posts) • 0

Might not seem much, but the Nanya shopping mall on Dian Chi Lu (昆明滇池路569) have decorated the place with giant pumpkins and have even built quite a large, temporary house of horrors for kids on the first floor. You can't miss it. There are often performances/markets etc held in and around the mall so i wouldn't be surprised to see something happening on the day itself. The 4th floor is devoted entirely to kids (mostly clothes and toy shops but also play areas [for younger children only]), the 5th floor has a large games arcade, and the 7th floor has a shiny new giant screen cinema that may be playing Monsters University, a popular kids Halloween cartoon showing in many cinema's around KM currently.

faraday (213 posts) • 0

@mPRin, i know my tone wasnt helpful, and sorry for it. But the content I think was quite helpful. How many people "miss" "halloween" simply because they dont realise it IS mid-autumn fest?

And I agree with Magnifico too.

Quester (233 posts) • 0

Magnifico, you quoted my question, but although your comments were interesting, I couldn't actually find the answer to the question about the meaning of Halloween and how that meaning is relevant here. Unless you were saying the meaning relates to the veil between existence planes? What relevance would people take from that?

Magnifico (1981 posts) • 0

It's not specifically 'relevant' here, but:
1 - Halloween is more fun than a barrel of monkeys, and therefore I'm all for people celebrating it all over the world.
2 - The meaning doesn't restrict it to any geographical area as, say, your example of Thanksgiving.

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

Thanksgiving, Halloween, Christmas & other such holidays become popular because they are 'western', and 'western' is confused with 'modern', here and in many places - as is, sometimes, Christianity. 'Modern' and 'progress' are also confused, despite the fact that it has been 'modernity' and 'Progress' (the latter concept very much related to Abrahamic religion), under globalizing/globalized capitalist relations of production, that have led to nations armed to the genocidal/mutually-suicidal teeth, and to irresponsible and probably irreversible damage to the planet and therefore to the very possible extinction of humanity and the remaining other species.

So I think we might as well celebrate Halloween everywhere, as it's more fun to harmlessly scare people by dressing up as the devil or Maggie Thatcher or somebody, before we all bow out & collectively leave The Big Stage.

Quester (233 posts) • 0

I find it sad when the meaning of important festivals get lost, and become just an excuse for another party. I've even had people here say to me that Christmas "is the same" as Spring Festival, because they say people do the same thing, family all comes together and eat. But that focusses only on the 'what' and not the 'why'. If we forget the 'why', then all our cultural festivals are diluted away into just one more stuff-your-face or booze-up.

mPRin (821 posts) • 0

There is an event at Owen education in Shuncheng shopping mall 9th floor in the same block as Starbucks on the 27th at 6:30pm. I saw the posters when I was passing today. Seems they want you to bring your kids, dressed up in Halloween costumes if you can. They will also have Halloween games and prizes.

Related forum threads

Login to post