GoKunming Forums

*Organic Food Club* coming to Kunming

colinflahive (167 posts) • 0

Starting very soon, I will be putting together an organic food club where those interested can buy a membership to weekly or bi-weekly organic food pick-up.

The idea is that Haobao, a local organic farm, will pack individual boxes of assorted vegetables weighing 5 kilograms each. Each box will cost around 60 RMB and will contain vegetables like carrots, tomatoes, eggplants, zucchini, chili, greens and other rarities like brussel sprouts. The assortment will be random and cannot be specified to the desire of each customer. In the near future, we may be able to incorporate some organic meats.

I am thinking that each person can make one payment each month for either a once a week or twice a week pick-up. There will also be a 100 RMB deposit on the container. Each person will be responsible to remember this pick-up or give a 2 day advance notice.

I've been in China for a long time and have kind of missed this movement in the West. So if you have any suggestions as to how to run this operation or if you are interested in helping out, please contact me or reply to this thread. And if you would like to be a buyer of organic foods in Kunming, please send your name, number and email address to c o l i n _ f l a h i v e @ h o t m a i l . c o m.

Cheers, Colin

Onobaron (11 posts) • 0

This is a great idea! My local community mercantile in the states had a program very similar to this. Their program was a once a week pick-up that included seasonal vegetables, but what was even better, they included fresh herbs and recipes for items that may be unfamiliar.
I hope that anyone interested in this program will spread the word to like minded friends. The best chance of success for a program like this is finding as many people as possible who want to be involved. And remember, more people involved increases the chances of lower prices for everyone. So spread the word!

colinflahive (167 posts) • 0

I highly suggest that anyone interested in visiting Haobao, Yunnan's main organic vegetable food supplier, do so. It's in a beautiful small valley up in the mountains about 45 minutes from Kunming. They have guesthouses and great fresh organic food. There are a few stories in GoKuming's database if you want to read more. And if you do make the trip and have suggestions for the Organic Food Club, please respond to this thread.

Haobao Organic Farm
昆明好宝有机农场
Haobaoqing, Kunming
昆明市昆明好宝箐
Phone: (0871) 8993116, 8993118, 6650670

Related forum threads

Login to post