GoKunming Forums

Hot dogs in KM

Magnifico (1981 posts) • 0

tiger, if cooking frozen wasnt the problem, then you're probably right. thanks for letting me know i ingested cardboard.

yankee00 (1632 posts) • 0

@Rin, it was Walmart. I got them at one of the stores directly south of the second ring road (not exactly sure which one, but there was a Toni&Guy in the complex) . Seriously sorry for the confusion.

EDIT: if someone is making them locally, it's might be safer and better. I used to get sausages from an expat in beijing suburbs who only used natural ingredients.

seahorse62 (141 posts) • 0

If you want a good bratwurst come to KIA's fun fair on Saturday 12 October between 10am and 1pm. There is a teacher there who makes and cooks homemade bratwurst. They really are the best in Kunming.

seahorse62 (141 posts) • 0

@mPRin KIA is in the south of the city on Guang Fu Lu. It is where one person asked "Why is there so many foreigners there?" Anyways, the international school has a fall carnival each year with games and food. The brats are great, and there is other food and games also.

mPRin (821 posts) • 0

I can't find any info in listings about it. Can you post the details here or will there be something in the events section?
Thanks.

English Tutour (123 posts) • 0

From time to time, Carrefour and Metro carry hot dogs and sausages, although its erratic for sure. Metro has a separate section for them in the 'cheese' corner. Carrefour sells them along with the bacons and other Chinese hams and hot dogs in the yogurt and cheese refrigerated aisles.

Carrefour sells a lovely whole grain mustard that is great with sausages. Once in a while you get lucky with the taste. All a little expensive but certainly worth it for that periodic taste of home.

If you're looking for a hunk of beef, not for BBQing but for stewing or for Hong Shao Niu Ruo, the beef that's vacuum packed in a green coloured plastic bag is a brand called TianMu and is nice. Don't bother with the Carrefour cuts of beef, they're tough.

Good luck.

mPRin (821 posts) • 0

I saw the sausages in the Longquan C4, next to the Cheese, but they were all Chinese kinds of sausages.

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

Yankkee00: I take it that by 'someone...locally' you really mean 'a westerner living in Kunming' - by 'an expat in Beijing' you mean 'a westerner in Beijing', and that your logic rests on the idea that 'westerners', known or unknown and regardless of their experience or lack of it, are more likely to make sausages 'safer and better' than Chinese are - is this the correct interpretation?

My recommendation for Tomann's sausages is because I like them, and because the type of sausage he makes is not made locally by anyone else, and can't be found in the market (unless one goes to Metro or someplace for imports), as far as I know.

Related forum threads

Login to post