GoKunming Forums

Americans who move to China, only to eat nothing but McDonald's.

tallamerican (396 posts) • 0

You need to consider they have been eating this diet their whole lives. They have built up immunities to the bacteria, etc. My first 6 months in china i was treated for 3 serious bacteria infections. Doctor was one who suggested i balance my diet with some western food. None since. Age i also think can be a factor. 40 years ago i could eat anything.

tommann (423 posts) • 0

So, are people in this thread really arguing for eating nothing but McDonald's? Does anyone really consider McDonald's to be "good" food?

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

People in this thread have said nothing really kind about McDonalds besides it's more sanitary and they have a fondness of it from when they grew up.

Your thread title is just plain wrong. No American eats there everyday. It's just hyperbole said by someone drinking at Sal's happy hour who was having a bad China day or tired of another Kunming Special from the restaurant the night before.

And to be clear, American in this case means someone who has "moved" here as your title imples. Not some tourist who is just passing 3 days in Kunming and decided for one reason or another to dine at MickeyDs.

blobbles (958 posts) • 0

I think it was a bit ridiculous to suggest that some Americans only come here and eat McDonalds. What I am suggesting is that people shouldn't be shaming others for eating some McDonalds. Because eating burgers (bread made from wheat/meat/raw vegetables) or whatever they feel is "their food" is what we have evolved to eat both over our life spans and over the course of generations of evolution. I am also sharing my experience of knowing this to be true having gone on a completely native diet and being forced back to a semi western diet.

Tomman, I do not think anyone is arguing that McDonalds is a good place to eat all your meals, but for me i enjoy eating there 1-2 times a week. Like i have said i have been eating there for the past 55 years. Started going there with my parents.

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

Correction. I did compliment the breakfast at McDonalds compared to what's on par for Kunming dining options at 8am. I will stand by that.

AlexKMG, i also enjoy the breakfast, when i lived in Beihai they had great pancakes. Have not tried here in Kunming as Mcdonalds is not convenient for me in morning.

mPRin (821 posts) • 0

I love McDonalds. Reasonably priced, tastes good and the fillet o fish is probably the only fish you can eat in China without bones! I go there to get my fish fix.
Breakfasts are great too.

Magnifico (1981 posts) • 0

blobbles wrote: "Because eating burgers (bread made from wheat/meat/raw vegetables) or whatever they feel is "their food" is what we have evolved to eat both over our life spans and over the course of generations of evolution. I am also sharing my experience of knowing this to be true having gone on a completely native diet and being forced back to a semi western diet."

NOBODY has 'evolved' to be able to eat Big Macs. Unhealthy food is unhealthy food.

If you make radical changes to your diet, your body may experience some discomfort and will need time to adjust. But it doesn't mean the new diet is bad for you because your body evolved to the diet of burgers.

Maybe the diet you were transitioning to wherever it was that you were would have been more beneficial in the long run.

The Dudeson's (1106 posts) • 0

The food at fast food joints is not healthy and you also never adopt to it.

It's as if you would say that you drink a glass of "radiator coolant" every morning and feel great about it. Sure it may not kill you instantly and maybe 5 out of hundred will have a comfortable life, - including benfits in winter at temperatures below zero, but sooner or later you will pay the (a) price.

In some items at Mc Donalds there are chemicals that are not even allowed to be used to medicate animals in Europe but due to a loophole (McD/KFC) can still use it off-label. And they know it causes cancer.

There is a research paper flying around google 'effects of fast food'
It shows the possibility of serious health problems by eating fast food and the increase of problems by the frequency you eat that cr**. It's a scary paper, I will try to find the link.

This here is an awesome threat, I mean step back from the screen for a moment and digest the posts. There are actually people here saying that McDonalds is healthier than the local food (especially Chinese food.) The best part is they are serious about it...lol
This is hilarious, I hope there is a real physician reading this it must be fun to see it from his/her POV.

Eating local
Yes you may get diarrhea or a bug but you may not develop, diabetes (all types), cancer, allergies, impotence (seriously!!!!), mood disorders, heart disease (the whole scale of it), blood diseases etc.
And guys it's proven....and it will happen (except for the small fraction of lucky ones about 5%), disregarding how safe you may feel McD food feels at the time.

I dunno how tough your diarrhea gets but I prefer my annual food induces mud-butt over those diseases above.
But if you want to be "SAFE"! go ahead eat as much McD and KFC as you possibly can, more healthy food for me!!! lol
Enjoy the healthy fast food experience...hahah
I will go on my unhealthy commando lifestyle eating vegetarian chinese food with lots of exercise, I know it's risky and unhealthy but what the heck. No risk- no fun, right??

This is one of the best (due to crazy) forum entries so far.

Related forum threads

Login to post