GoKunming Forums

Americans who move to China, only to eat nothing but McDonald's.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

@faraday.
Sorry, nearly missed your post among all the noise.

Ref. tofu - when eating out.

My Chinese family and I avoid tofu when eating out. Tofu can go rancid very quickly if not refrigerated. This then leads to 'la duzi'. If it has been sitting in the warm all day, or worst case left over from the previous day, then there is a problem. You can usually taste that the tofu is sour, but in some soups, with lots of other flavours, it is harder to tell. The worst tofu is the soft white variety.

As a result, we may order tofu when eating out at mid-day, but never in the evenings. Cooking your own tofu, is not a problem. If purchased in the morning fresh, and then refrigerated, it will last for 2-3 days.

Magnifico (1981 posts) • 0

Faraday, that's not very nice to bring up the worst aspects of Chinese culture and then go into a patriotic frenzy defending the worst aspects of western culture.

How about burger joints that serve real burgers that don't glow in the dark? How come your country can't export that? Please don't blame the Chinese panties!

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

Faraday, now, after telling us what's WRONG with McDonald's, why don't you tell us what's good about it? And who is this 'we' that is taking over the world? Somehow I don't feel like I'm a member. Why do you want to 'take over the world', anyway? Such attempts usually annoy people.

GeogramattGeogramatt (203 posts) • 0

In college, I took a class called the Anthropology of Food. One of the required readings was a book the professor wrote called "Golden Arches East", about McDonalds and American fast food's proliferation in Asia.

It argues that there's a lot more than meets the eye. I won't summarize it here (see the link to the book's Amazon page below). I'll just say that it might have something worthwhile to add to this (now off the wheels) conversation

www.amazon.com/Golden-Arches-East-McDonalds-Edition/dp/0804749892/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1381134344&sr=8-1&keywords=golden+arches+east

Sundancer (38 posts) • 0

@tonyaod-it was a straw man argument this one is both post hoc and red herring-just saying. I just had to add something interesting from something I saw yesterday. I was at C4 walking by-get it walking by the KFC and there was a Chinese couple at the door-the boyfriend or husband was pulling on the arm of his girlfriend/wife to get her to come in-I thought of this post. Chinese people are afraid of Western food!!!!!!! I have had parties for my students in the past and they wouldn't touch much of what I served-even PB&J. Once a student complained to me of cramps and I had some Midol in my purse-she looked scared and refused it. It has been my experience that due to the lack of contact in the past with Chinese people and other cultures there is a lot of fear of anything familiar and new. We Westerners mainly love other culture's food and our society reflects that-walk through any food court-every country is represented though maybe not the worm thing.

Sundancer (38 posts) • 0

to go on now that I have started-the original argument was an invalid inductive argument. It was also an invalid deductive argument which has caused all the problems.

Deductive argument:

Westerners eat at McDonalds
This is the only reason they move to China
Therefore Westerns only move to China to eat at McDonalds because they hate Chinese food
Aghhhhh

Inductive
All Westerners eat at McDonalds
They never eat Chinese
Therefore the only reason to move to China is to eat at McDonalds

Aghhhhhhh

The argument is so bad I can't even form it correctly!!!!

Related forum threads

Login to post