GoKunming Forums

iPhone/jailbreak expert in Kunming?

Andrew_AWS (34 posts) • 0

Hi all. After recently arriving in Kunming with my iPhone, I discovered it wasn't able to take calls on Chinese networks. My big mistake was then to pay someone at a phone shop to 'fix' this - which he did by jailbreaking it. Problem was, it downgraded the software to iOS 4.0 or so, which meant my essential apps like Pleco were no longer usable.

I then tried to fix this by jailbreaking it myself - but just dug in deeper. So I now have an iPhone (3GS) with iOS 6.1.3 software, but which won't activate via Apple's servers or iTunes, so can't be used at all. I have rigorously followed a ton of instructions from the web about how to proceed, but nothing has worked. I don't expect someone here to tell me how to solve this, but does anyone know of any experts in this sort of stuff that I might turn to, for payment or otherwise? I'd be happy with just my apps back, and I'll use a cheap dumbphone for calls.

Thanks for reading.

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

The pretty new iphones are coming out. Maybe time for an upgrade?

Forget the jailbreaking part. Just restore the phone on itunes if you just want your apps back. Though you'll be upgraded to whatever ios Apple deems current, but 6.1.3 seems pretty high already for 3GS.

support.apple.com/kb/HT1414

laotou (1714 posts) • 0

1. I didn't know there was a released jailbreak for IOS 6.1.3. IOS 6.1.x was recently jailbroken (iclarified.com), but the formal JB hasn't been released yet.

2. Although the IOS maybe pushed back (IOS 4.x) or pushed forwards (IOS 6.x) - once the baseband (the actual phone part of the SW) has been upgraded - I've never heard of a baseband reversion - meaning you can use old (IOS 4.x) or new (IOS 6.x) software - but the phone is basically bricked (at IOS 6.x) until the IOS 6.1.x JB is released...no phone services - but the apps work fine.

YMMV (your mileage may vary).

Thanks, but I can't restore the phone, because I get error messages when trying to activate it of the type 'apple server is unavailable'; or 'there is no SIM card in your phone' when there is). I can't push the software back to 6.0 because I can't get any of the various jailbreaking programs to work, on my computer or a friend's.

I can't afford a new iPhone. I was hoping there might be someone who's successfully done this sort of thing a lot, who might be willing to do it for me.

@yankee00 - thanks, but I've tried all that a hundred times without success, that's why I'm looking for someone experienced who could help me out by actually carrying out a restore or jailbreak.

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

You need to upgrade your itunes and place your original sim (the one that you were using before jailbreaking from your home country).

Then try to restore. If that doesn't work, then try with a friend who has itunes and an open vpn connection to a US server or whatever country your home carrier was.

lawlz0mg (201 posts) • 0

When you jailbreak you cant use itunes.. you dont need to activate via itunes. if you're having a problem activating your sim, you need to settings > general > reset network settings. If this does not work go to settings > carrier > turn off automatic and choose your carrier.. If these things dont work, message me ill reset your phone back to factory and rejail break it. if you reset your phone to factory you will lose everything, write down all phone numbers since you're wanting to jailbreak you cant itunes backup. If things get worse, drop me a message with your phone number, carrier, and iphone model. Another thing is, you MUST have factory unlock. Sim trays, and jailbreaks dont work with updates. I can take care of factory unlock for you, but it will cost you some money since ill have to call your carrier. Unless you had an AT&T account, i can do it over email. Sorry if this doesnt make sense to you, but send me your number and we can meet up and ill take care of it for you.

Related forum threads

Login to post