GoKunming Forums

A question for the English

bjtokm (193 posts) • 0

Londoners in particular. Is 40k Pounds a year enough money to live a cool life in London?? I know this is vague question! But in general ? obviously more would always be better!! but in general! hahaha

Dazzer (2813 posts) • 0

It is enough to live comfortable. Define cool. If you mean eating at the Ivy, then no. If you mean going out e time a week to where regular people go, then just about enough.

OceanOcean (1193 posts) • 0

Are you including rent? That would eat up a chunk of your 40k.
Travel in and around London might cost 2-4k, as well.
Food + entertainment.... sky's the limit.

bjtokm (193 posts) • 0

No, does not including anything! the job pays 40k gross .....what does a apt cost in London? Don't have to be in the main area but not in the suburbs either.

Silvio DaVinci (282 posts) • 0

I think it's decent for London. Not too low and not high.
London isn't cheap, but it depends if you have a small apartment or if you move there with a family. I think you can find places in your budget if you're by yourself. 6 Most important things: 1. check where the nearest tube/metro lines are if you need them for going to work. Check the area and how safe it is (google maps has street view). 3 Buy your food at Tesco. (Check if there is one nearby your apartment as that saves you a LOT of money if you cook yourself). 4: bring your own lunch to work and a snack for the way back. Lunches add up quickly and sandwiches are not cheap. Why a snack for the way back? In case you get delayed in traffic/tube. 5. Bring water in case you get stuck in traffic/tube (very very important). 6. Get an Oyster card (for overground district trains and metro, tube and bus)
Fine dining is very expensive usually. If you're young and just want a fun dinner with friends, then there are also places that suit that. Wetherspoons or Lloyd's have decent foods and combo events (drinks and food platters)
Just some suggestions :)

redjon77 (510 posts) • 0

Lived in London most of life and yes 40k will give you a decent life. Social life, rent, food should all be good enough with that!
Think average Londoner is on 25k!!!

Related forum threads

Login to post