GoKunming Forums

Chinese Restaurant suitable for a group of 12 tourists?

LeMez (2 posts) • 0

Could someone possibly give me some suggestions for suitable Chinese restaurants near the centre of Kunming for an evening meal for 12 new arrivals in China? It's a group of European tourists who are arriving for a trip in Yunnan and will spend one night in Kunming on arrival, and one before departure.

I need to take them out for a meal, but do not know Kunming myself.

Although they are likely to be well-seasoned travellers, since it will be their first night away and possibly their first ever experience of 'real' Chinese restaurants, I would prefer to go somewhere that is slightly on the cleaner side, but primarily I am interested in great tasting food and a good dining atmosphere. It does not need to be fancy or expensive, indeed I would prefer it not to be. We will be staying close to the junction of Baita and Tuodong Roads, and I would prefer the restaurant to be within (easy) walking distance of the hotel if possible.

I read about the Chongqing Cygnet Hotpot restaurant in the forum, which sounds good in that they would get to try the famous crossing the bridge noodle dish but the restaurant's website made it look like it is quite flash and possibly a bit formal (and expensive?). Any opinions?

What about 1910 La Gare Du Sud – or is this also quite formal and expensive?

Thanks in advance for any help. I will be arriving a day or two before the group so will go and check out any suggestions personally.

YuantongsiYuantongsi (717 posts) • 0

I am not sure what you think is expensive but 1910 La Gare Du Sud has really nice food and is in a really nice setting.

Depending on what you order it will be about 50-100 a person, more if you have beer, lot more if have wine/baijiu.

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

Skip the cross bridge noodles. They are over rated and boring for just a couple of people, much less party of 12.

1910 is a good dining option for 12. Order more vegetable dishes and fewer beers, you should stay under 50rmb. 1910's entrance is a little difficult to find as it's further in from the street.

Personally, I would go here:

www.gokunming.com/[...]

Dai food in a nice setting right near Greenlake is a true Kunming experience that can't be replicated elsewhere. But better for a party of 8, and you will spend more than 50rmb per head here as the food is good and you will order lots of it.

tommann (423 posts) • 0

There is a place across the street from 金马坊, called 年轮. It is on the third floor of the building that also houses Suning. It is really good food, a very upscale atmosphere, and incredibly inexpensive for what you get. Order a private room and it is a very lovely experience, with a wide range of Chinese food for them to try.

LeMez (2 posts) • 0

Thanks for all the recs so far!

I'll definitely check them out on arrival. The Dai places sounds great, I'd seen the reviews for that, perhaps good for the end of the trip rather than the beginning (after the long haul flight).

I think 1910 should be walking distance from our hotel so a better option for the first night. 50-100rmb is fine, great in fact, by European standards.

Tommann - what is (and where is?) "金马坊" ? sounds interesting.

passportokunmingpassportokunming (2 posts) • 0

Come on, it's the very mashroom season in Yunnan. Why don't you guys go to some restaurants around the EXPO Center. I know one of the mashroom hotpot restaurant called 滇菌王 [dian, drin won] they offer all kinds of local and seasonal foods, and the environment is awesome, super big room and extra super big round table.

Nagam (11 posts) • 0

O'Reilly's can cater for 12+.... Just don't have a starter or a drink and it will be under 100 rmb. Not exactly city centre but worth the journey

yankee00 (1632 posts) • 0

Not sure O'Reilley's is the 'real' Chinese restaurant the OP is looking for.

Related forum threads

Login to post